Hinges for heavy wood gate

Old 07-20-14, 10:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hinges for heavy wood gate

Building a wooden 6' by 6' gate to try and keep out the deer. Gate is standard 2*4 with 1*6 cedar panel pickets. I purchased a hinge kit with screws, but now that the gate is built I'm questioning if screws will hold it. Im thinking I should use lag bolts or carriage bolts, but will strap hinges still be strong enough to hold the gate up?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-14, 10:39 AM
W
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Hinges

What size are the strap hinges?

Old 07-20-14, 12:14 PM
C
These are the hinges that I have. EVERBILT | 6 Inch Black T-Hinge | Home Depot Canada

Returning them today for something heavy duty.

Old 07-20-14, 12:39 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check out Pintle Type Strap Hinges . These screw into your support posts and will handle a heavy load. I used this style on a 6' tall picket fence gate. It worked well.

Old 07-20-14, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Also, good luck keeping deer out of a 6' gate. I have seen them flat foot jump that high. On a run higher. I think the pintle hinges Woody suggested may be your best bet. Do you have the gate cross braced from the hinge side low, to the latch side high, to prevent sagging?

Old 07-20-14, 01:10 PM
C
I plan to put lattice on top to give it a bit more height.

Yes I have a cross from the hinge side low as well as cross braces at the other corners for added support.

Also should mention the gate will be fasted to 4*4 post, so a true 3.5 inches. Limits me somewhat to the length of the post side hinge. Do you think something like this would work and maybe use 3-4 hinges for added support? EVERBILT | 6 Inch Zinc Heavy Duty T-Hinge | Home Depot Canada

Old 07-20-14, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Although it solves your problem with the 4x4, it will present a new one on the gate, unless you place the hinge to where it hits on solid wood, like on your cross members. At 6" it would work.

Old 07-20-14, 02:00 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I have six foot high (including the lattice) by five foot wide double gates made of 2x4s and cedar fencing and I have had no problem with the T-strap hinges themselves. I have had some problem with using just screws on the hinges into the 4x4 posts and replacing them with lags helped tremendously. The problem I DO have is that the gates loosen up at the corners and since they are some 27 years old I am probably going to replace them. I'm still debating whether to simply build new frames and use plywood triangles (gussets) on the corner or just go with chain link with privacy slats.

Old 07-20-14, 03:15 PM
C
Thats reassuring Furd. I will give it a try with some carriage bolts and see how it holds up.