Screws for fence Pickets

Old 10-15-15, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screws for fence Pickets

Does anyone know of a screw with integral washer/head and coarse threads either SS or Coated steel for use on fence pickets?
Used a #8 X 1-1/2" similar screw from the local big box store, and found the threads were too fine for wood. They worked; but, had to be very careful in pulling the pickets up tight.
All of the deck screws I have used countersink too much before the pickets are tight. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-15, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 54 Posts
I use Kreg screws quite a bit and they do have SS ones available for outside use.

Old 10-15-15, 09:18 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Screws

All of the deck screws I have used countersink too much before the pickets are tight.
Use a drywall screw gun to drive the screws. This will allow you to control the depth of drive.

One screw alternative that comes to mind is metal roofing screws. However, the screw head will not be flush.

Old 10-15-15, 05:25 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Getting some strange reply's.
Why would you use a hex head screw with a rubber washer?
Why use high dollar Craig screws for something they where never meant to be used for?
I've only built about a dozen picket fences, but never once used screws or washers.
Got a pneumatic nail gun?
# 8 ACQ approved ring shanked nails will work and never pull out.
Going to use screws then use bugle head ceramic coated decking screws and use an impact driver, not a cordless drill.
No washer needed.

Old 10-16-15, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am on a saltwater bayou in deep south Louisiana. Don't know where you came up with "hex head & rubber washers"?
I too have put up many wood fences, one that is 388 ft. total lenght still standing in good shape after 40 years in the Clear Lake, Texas area.
The screws I referred to are GRK #8 X 1-1/2" "Approved for Treated Lumber, Climatek(TM) All Weather Coating-Limited Lifetime Guarantee". They are called "Cabinet Screws" and have too fine a thread for wet (soft) treated pickets and 2" X 4" wet rail boards.
I am looking for a similar screw in SS or other material approved for treated lumber with a coarser thread. I have two more small sections of fence (approx 120' total) to put up on the bayou side and am hoping there is a better screw for the purpose than these that I used on the first 65' section. Any references will be appreciated.

Old 10-16-15, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Old 10-16-15, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 54 Posts
Exactly the screws I mentioned, I stopped short of providing a size or link, though - thanks, Carbide

Old 10-16-15, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You provided the answer; I did the google search