Building a double gate on a slope...

Old 12-06-15, 07:28 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building a double gate on a slope...

So I'm putting a privacy fence along the side of my house. Due to the grading away from the house, there is a slope. I have placed a couple fence posts in the ground that I plumbed with a level. I plan on building the fence parallel to the ground. The issue comes up with the gate. I plan on building a double gate using four T-hinges.

Is there any way to leave the posts perfectly plumb and still be able to create the double gate parallel to the ground? Or would I have to parallel the posts with the ground (rather than leave them plumb) in order to get the T-hinges to work properly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-06-15, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
would I have to parallel the posts with the ground
LOL... posts that are parallel to the ground would be LAYING on the ground. If you are referring to the posts I think you must mean "perpendicular".

Yes, your posts should ALWAYS be plumb. Your gates will likely not be able to swing fully open on the uphill side if you choose to maintain close ground contact. But if you have, say... 12" of slope in the area where your gate will be located and you choose to have the bottom edge of the gate follow the grade by let's say.... 6" above grade, the side of the gate on the uphill side will be able to swing back at least 90 degrees which is usually the minimum amount that's desirable.

In short, you will get into trouble if you try to follow the ground level TOO closely. Keep it up as much as you can.

Does that help?

Old 12-07-15, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Is it feasible to change the grade some where the gate will be?

pics of the area in question could be useful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 12-07-15, 06:06 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Double Gate

What XSleeper said and swing the gates down hill when opening. Gate uprights vertical and gate rails parallel to the ground. Build the double gate as a single unit mounted on the gate posts and cut apart in the center when finished.

Old 12-07-15, 07:21 AM
T
LOL... posts that are parallel to the ground would be LAYING on the ground. If you are referring to the posts I think you must mean "perpendicular".
I realize how dumb I sounded. I was thinking in terms of the top of each post being parallel to the ground (which would still be perpendicular not parallel).

Thanks for the info. I'll keep the posts perpendicular. The grade isn't horrible but I plan on keeping the gate as close to the ground as possible because we have a dog that likes to escape.

Old 12-07-15, 07:29 AM
T
I meant I'll keep the posts plumb not perpendicular. Haha. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: