handrail for concrete stoop

Old 02-18-16, 11:47 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
handrail for concrete stoop

I would like to put a handrail on my concrete stoop. I saw this kit, its perfect for my application but I cant afford it.

simple surface mount handrail

I cant find anything similar at the big box websites (menards, home depot)

I was thinking maybe I can mount 36" 4x4 wood posts to the bottom step and the top of the stoop and then attach the handrail to the posts.

What type of bracket can I get locally at a hardware store to mount the posts?

Any guidance in getting this done would be much appreciated.

Old 02-18-16, 12:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That railing would be against code here. Prefab iron railings are impossible to find. They are all custom made now.

http://acmasonry.com/images/567a-med.jpg

What about something like that?

Old 02-18-16, 06:01 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Why not post a picture of your stoop?
Most often I install post, railings and ballisters next to the stoop not attachted to it.

Old 02-19-16, 10:08 AM
Z
I don't have a way to take a photo.

However, its all concrete, cant do any digging. The only way is to attach posts to the bottom stair and the top with some sort of bracket and concrete anchors.

but I am not sure using brackets is a good idea? Wouldn't 3-4" high 4x4 posts mounted in such fashion be wobbly? And what type of (cost effective) bracket and or flange can I use?

That would give me a starting place whether I construct the rest with 2x4's, a prefeb top rail and ballisters or splurge on some sort of pvc setup that sleeves over the posts?

Im leaning toward the 2x4 and ballister idea for economy. The porch also wouldn't have railings panels around it... this hand rail I am proposing along the steps would be freestanding (and hopefully not swaying side to side!!!)

Old 02-19-16, 11:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If $160 is not in your budget it makes it difficult to come up with something cheaper unless you already have the hammer drill, circular saw and cordless drill/screwdriver to make something out of wood.

What is your stoop and stair made of? It is poured concrete or is it cement block? If you tap firmly on the stoop and stair treads do they sound solid or hollow? This will help determine what you can attach to it and how.

If you must go with wood I would not use 2x4 for your verticals. They are not treated for ground contact so where it's touching the masonry it could prematurely rot. I would notch or just bolt 4x4 vertical posts to the side of your stoop and stairs. Then make a hand railing of 2x4. I don't like using just one 2x4 as it's likely to warp. I put one horizontally (sloping down following the pitch of your stairs) and screw another 2x4 to the side with the narrow edge up. This provides a 1 1/2" wide x 2" high rail to grip.

Old 02-19-16, 12:46 PM
Z
The stoop is poured concrete... solid as a tank. I have the tools so that's not an issue. Again I am looking for some sort of bracket for the 4x4 posts to surface mount to concrete. .... or are they going to wobble?

Old 02-20-16, 04:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Lots of brackets showed up when I Googled for them.

Old 02-24-16, 11:39 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Here is a place to check out. They are only a couple of miles from me and my back entry railing was put together with their materials. Looks similar to your first picture.
Google J C Denier

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: