Support for fence post

Old 04-18-16, 12:55 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Support for fence post

2 summers ago we put up a new fence in the backyard.
The yard backs onto a road so I decided to install a gate in the left corner of the yard. I used 4x4's for the posts, they are at least 3 feet in the ground filled with concrete.

The problem I have is with the gate - we built it ourselves and I will admit it's pretty sturdy but I feel like it's too much weight for the posts to support. The ground also sloped where the gate is, so the gate is always hanging and is not supported by the earth due to clearance.

I plan on fixing the slope and putting some gate wheels on it, but I still need to fix the 4x4 which like I said is starting to lean. What would be your best suggestion for supporting the 4x4?

Old 04-18-16, 01:01 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the post bending or is the whole post, concrete and all tilting? A picture would help a lot: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-19-16, 07:30 AM
K
The post is bending near the top. The concrete is solid.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Old 04-19-16, 07:51 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Gate Post

Move the gate and gate post away from the corner by six or eight feet so you can establish a good bracing system between the gate post and the corner post. This will require a new post location for the latch side gate post.

Old 04-19-16, 01:15 PM
K
This is a great suggestion and I wish I could do it.
Unfortunately my backyard already has a back fence which was built by the municipality and right behind it is a ditch. The corner of the yard is literally the only spot I could put the gate as the ditch ends there, as does the back fence.

Old 04-19-16, 03:13 PM
J
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
Main reason we suggest using 6 X 6's for gate post.
4 X 4's love to curl, twist and check.
Picture would be great.
No mention of how wide the gate is, number of bags of concrete used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: