Con common or con redwood for fence

Old 05-08-16, 08:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Con common or con redwood for fence

My fence contractor has given me the option of of 1x8x5 Con Common or 1x6x5 Con Heart boards for a side fence we are building that will face the street (we live on a corner.) The fence will be 6 feet tall. Are there any drawbacks to either one these wood or sizes? Thanks.

Old 05-09-16, 05:49 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Both are suitable for a fence. The construction heart grade will have fewer and smaller knots, and will be a little more insect and decay resistant due to lack of sapwood that is present in construction common grade. That also gives it a little more uniformity of color initially. Color uniformity is usually not too big a deal for a fence; if it is stained it will even it out, and if it is left natural, it will weather to a consistent shade within a year or so. The construction heart will also be a little more dimensionally stable which is not so important for a fence, but may help minimize cupping somewhat, and the narrower boards helps with that also.

I'd be inclined to choose the heart grade if the fence is in a high visibility area and will be a focal point. If it's just functional as a privacy fence, I think you'll be fine with the common grade. Depends on what's important to you and the price premium for the heart grade.

Old 05-09-16, 10:54 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What about the difference in the size of the boards from 1x8x5 for the common to 1x6x5 for the heart? Will this make a big difference?

Old 05-09-16, 01:30 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As I said, the narrower boards will tend to cup less than wider boards. Other than that there is not much difference. It will give the fence a slightly different look....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: