Need to remove aluminum fence post

Old 06-07-16, 08:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Need to remove aluminum fence post

Need to temporarily take 2 Jerith aluminum fence sections down for access to yard, and need to remove 1 post to do this. Assuming I need to dig out the post and concrete. Can the post then be salvaged to re-install the 2 sections, or will I need a new post? If I can re-use, how do I remove all the concrete (hammer/chisel?) or do I just dig a bigger hole and add more concrete?

Old 06-08-16, 03:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is doubtful you can successfully remove the post and the concrete and reuse it, although I am sure it has been done. If the access point will be something that you can use another time, would it not benefit to install a double gate, eliminating the center post altogether? Remember we can't see what you see.

Old 06-09-16, 06:28 AM
D
I doubt I will have the need for a gate here, bringing in a pre-assembled poolhouse, and I can't justify the cost of a double gate vs. a new post.

Old 06-09-16, 06:37 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Could you cut it at or near grade, leave the bottom of the post and concrete in place, and come up with a sleeve or plug to set the top back in place?

Old 06-09-16, 10:11 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Why can't the pool house be lifted over the fence by a crane service?

Old 06-09-16, 11:31 AM
D
It probably can be lifted, but what does a crane service cost? and I am sure that could potentially damage my lawn as well.

Old 06-09-16, 12:55 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Crane service companies often carry plywood to run the crane on but they may even be able to do it from the street if it is just to get it over the house. I don't know the cost. If this is a company setting up the pool house they have probably used a crane service before.

Old 06-09-16, 02:17 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
THis spring I moved a 20' birdhouse pole that was embedded in a concrete filled 5 gallon HD bucket. A PITA but I just dug a bigger hole, put the bucket in it and added 3 bags of concrete. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with your fence post.

Old 06-12-16, 06:02 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
daronson..... The quickest fix is the one you already mentioned.. In that, Yes, the post can be removed by digging it out and pulling it upwards... Before you pull upwards make sure the screws going into the ends of the sections are removed on both sides of the post. Then as you pull the post up the sections will go with it until they break free...
Reinstalling the post can be done in the reverse manner.

It is a very easy job as long as you have 3 hands... 2 work, but another pair of hands on the re-installation works better.

Of course a new post is the easiest way to do this, but surely you do not have to break away the concrete base on the post in order to re install the post with success.

Good luck... I am sure you will do fine

Greg's Fence NJ~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: