how to fix a slanted side gate door?

Old 08-09-16, 06:21 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to fix a slanted side gate door?

Hi all,

Our side gate is hitting the concrete when it closes. Basically it looks like it's "sagging" or something. If you're looking straight at the door, it's as if it's kind'a rotated clockwise a tiny bit.

So it seems like the fix is to rotate it counterclockwise a bit...but I don't see how that's possible without redrilling the holes for the hinges. But if I need to redrill...since I only need to shift the hole like 1/4", all I end up doing is making the hole bigger. Does that make sense?

I've already tried to loosen and tighten the bolts a bit with a wedge under the right edge of the door to "force" it up a bit, and it helped, but only by a little bit.

Any suggestions, or are these pretty much the only options? Redrilling or loosen & tighen up the bolts?

Name:  ff435e103e3592017f060d9a82c3dc9d.jpg.max800.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  24.6 KB

Old 08-09-16, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Take the door off the hinges and cut the bottom of the door to match the concrete, and give yourself some additional clearance... looks way too tight.

Or, you could also remove the screws from the bottom hinge only (the 4x4 half of the hinge) glue golf tees into the holes, cut them off, then redrill some new holes that are just about 1/4" to the right.

Old 08-09-16, 11:07 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, XSleeper! I should've mentioned that I don't want to do any cutting if I can help it...I don't have the tools. But the golf tees idea sounds interesting. I'll take a look at that.

Old 08-10-16, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could also add capital blocks on each of your posts for effect and raise the door 1". No cutting involved. If the door is truly sagging, then you could correct it by installing two substantial eye hooks and a cable with a turnbuckle in the middle from the low latch side to the high hinge side, and adjust the turnbuckle until the door is back in square.

Name:  gate.jpg
Views: 2449
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 08-10-16, 04:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
The vertical gap along the right side appears parallel to the frame and the top of the gate appears horizontal and lines up with the posts. Both indicate that door sag is not the problem and that little/no clearance at the bottom is the problem. Compounding the issue is that concrete is rarely level and totally flat. I'd scribe a line and inch or 1 1/2" off the concrete at the bottom and cut the door. Diagonal bracing can be added but would be visible and unsightly on the gate.

Old 08-10-16, 04:56 AM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
I'm with xsleeper on this one.
There's no reason that door should be that close to the concrete.
Just the normal expantion of the wood during humidity changes is going to make it drag being that close. `

Old 08-10-16, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
OP says he doesn't have tools to cut the door. It has to come down anyway, why not just raise the door?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: