driving metal pipe without flaring the end

Old 01-24-17, 06:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
driving metal pipe without flaring the end

I need to drive some metal pipes into the ground, but the ends flare badly when hit with a hammer. In the present case I'm driving some 1/2" emt pipes which flare very easily. I'm looking for suggestions for some device (diy or otherwise) that I can slip into the upper end of the pipe, and can be driven and still keep the end of the pipe from flaring.

Any ideas?

John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-17, 06:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
EMT isn't pipe. It is tubing and never intended for what you are doing. You might try placing a steel pipe cap that slips tightly over the top of it. However your best solution may be to be to leave it long and cut to height with a tubing cutter. after it is driven in.

Old 01-24-17, 06:58 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have taken a hole saw of the appropriate diameter and drilled a hole the depth of the hole saw into the end grain of a short piece of 4x4, leaving the center plug intact in the hole. Then slip it over the pipe (with the center plug inside the pipe) and whack the end of the 4x4. I've used that trick on iron pipe, but never tried it on EMT. Emt is very flimsy, but it might work.

But what I'd probably do it make the pipe a few inches longer than needed, let it mushroom, and then make a clean cut at the right height.

Old 01-25-17, 05:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, all good ones. I find that a 1/2" pipe coupler fits tightly on the emt so I could whack on it, or use a 1/2" cap as suggested. They just need to be tight enough so they won't pop off after each hammer blow.

I also found a tubing cutter I'd had for years. I thought it was for plastic pipe, but it worked perfectly on the 1/2" emt.

I'll also try the 4x4 with a hole saw hole idea. If that's strong enough it might be the quickest way.

So I've got three usable solutions to the problem.

BTW, emt is perfect for pounding into the ground for my purpose, which is to build stucco wire cages for my blueberry plants. The emt is light, easy to handle, much sturdier than pvc pipe, and cheap...

Thank you Ray2047
Thank you CarbideTipped