New fence install

Old 03-02-17, 04:03 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New fence install

I live in the Indianapolis area. Weather is currently very wet and rainy with highs in the 30s some days and highs 50s the next for the next couple weeks.

I recently moved into a new house and the 6 foot privacy fence is old and rotting. During some recent storms the posts are completely snapping off. I plan to install a new fence. It is roughly 200 feet with around 24 posts or so (every 8 feet).

I checked the frost line for this area and it is 36". I plan on using a 2 man auger to dig down about 40", throw in 6" gravel, set the post in and then fill the hole with cement. My question is, will the cement properly dry in this type of conditions? The ground is pretty muddy right now and the temperatures are not very high.

I seen Quikrete has a few varieties and the Quikrete 5000 caught my eye. It says "Ideal for cold weather applications". But reading the instructions is still says "Curing should be started as soon as possible and should continue for a period of 5 days in warm weather at 70F (21C) or higher or 7 days in colder weather at 50 - 70F."

I've also seen the Quikrete Fast-setting. Only thing I can find in the instructions is that it says "This product sets in 20 - 40 minutes. Wait 4 hours before placing heavy objects."

I just don't want to risk a poor install because I don't have the patience lol. Any ideas which concrete is best to use and how long I should wait between setting the posts and then installing the fence panel (putting a load on the posts)?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-17, 04:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You didn't say how low it gets at night. Since the ground isn't frozen the concrete should cure ok. The dirt will insulate the concrete. Unless it gets real cold at night the only thing you'd need to worry about would be the exposed top of the concrete .... and that can be covered. Cure time is how long it takes the concrete to reach max hardness.

Old 03-02-17, 04:39 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking at our forecast the lows look like it should be in the 40s. I don't think we will sustain low enough temps to get freezing ground again. If I set the post one day, do you think it would be ok to install the panels the next day? Any recommendations on concrete? Thanks for your help!

Old 03-02-17, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I've put up several fences, I'm not a pro. IMO most any sack crete will be ok. I don't know if overnight is long enough for heavy panels or not. The moderator for this forum is a pro fence guy and hopefully he'll have time to give you a better answer. He stays pretty busy and isn't always able to reply everyday.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: