Dog fence

Old 03-18-17, 05:49 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Dog fence

Ex has an old 6' wooden fence about 55' long with 4x4 posts in concrete, posts on her side.

She has two little Chinese Crested dogs, neighbor has two pit bulls or Rottweilers and they tend to argue through the fence. Yesterday one of her dogs must have got his foot through/under and had its toe ripped off, not sure what happened. Vet...surgery...overnight stay...$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'm thinking of buying metal roofing panels and screw them to the inside of the posts all along the bottom, keeping her dogs away from the wood part. Panels I've looked at are ~38" wide so her dogs would never go that high.

Seeing the posts are 8' apart maybe put a vertical 2x4 mid panel?

All suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Old 03-18-17, 07:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of wood fence is it? Did the dog bite come from between the slats or under the fence? Keeping a dog in [or out] usually entails carrying the barrier into the ground to prevent digging under it.

Old 03-18-17, 08:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think the metal sheets will look butt ugly, no matter which side they are placed. If the problem comes at the bottom of the fence, you could dig a small reverse berm along the fence and pour concrete to where it is just a little above the bottom of the fence on her side. That will keep the dogs from digging under and further injury.

Old 03-18-17, 09:52 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You didn't mention if neighbor is trying to get money from your ex due to dog injury. But just for the sake of argument, it seems that if the fence is in decent repair or in good standing without any major damage then the responsibility of dog control is clearly in the lap of the dog owner. I would do nothing on the neighbor side of the fence, but I would definitely secure your ex's side so that no chance of her dogs or the neighbors dog has access to either side.

Old 03-18-17, 02:52 PM
B
Butt ugly?? You mean the fence?

Name:  FENCE 2.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  FENCE 1.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  37.9 KB

This fence is 30 years old, outside verticals are cedar, rest she doesn't know, treated pine I'd guess. She said she has treated the cedar a few times with used motor oil.

MAIN objective here is to keep her little dogs away from the fence, this one cost her over $400. I could install the panels I mentioned for about half that. Never touched those roof panels but I think my drill and a box of pole barn screws should work okay.

I never noticed the horizontal 2x4s between the posts, could make it pretty easy. What could go wrong?

Her dogs are house dogs, go out to P&P then back inside. No worries about digging, ground is like concrete and they're not out long anyway.

You didn't mention if neighbor is trying to get money from your ex due to dog injury.
This is a joke... I think? She has small dogs and the neighbor has two big black things that sound like grizzlies.

Name:  AL.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  25.2 KB

Whatever, if someone has a better idea, not too much work and not too expensive I'll appreciate it. She sometimes watches my little dog so I want this fixed.

Thanks

Old 03-18-17, 03:03 PM
Not the fence, but the metal sheets would be ugly. If the ground is hard and the slats too close, how did the dogs meet? You could opt for poultry fencing along the bottom, hanging down from the bottom rail to keep a little distance between them and the bottom of the fence slats.

Old 03-18-17, 03:25 PM
B
That's okay, the fence IS ugly.

There must have been just enough room between two pieces of cedar and he got his little foot through there, I don't know.

First thing I thought of was maybe chain link fence but then figured it would be better all around if they can't even see each other.

Old 03-19-17, 03:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your plan will work although you have to remember the steel panels are square and often don't have a lot of wiggle room so you want to make sure the top stays level/straight .... or you could be way off at the end of the run. The metal will likely shorten the life of the fence as the wood behind it may collect debris and will be slower to dry.

Old 03-19-17, 04:55 AM
B
Good point Mark, I'll snap a line.

I haven't been over there to measure anything but I'm now thinking to buy 10' pieces where both pieces would overlap the post by a foot or so.

I might have to get my brother up to help, could be interesting hanging on to two pieces and screwing them in.

We'll see, thanks guys.

Old 03-19-17, 05:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
2" should be enough overlap. Plan out where the joints will land before you get started. With the posts every 8', 8' sections might make more sense. You'll want more than just the top and middle rail to secure the joints.

Old 03-20-17, 04:18 PM
B
Go Figure ??

Measured today and the 4x4 posts are 100" (8'4") apart. I'm no carpenter by any means but that doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking now I'll start on the far right with 10' pieces and the second piece begin on the next post, covering the overlap. I can see it but hard to explain. Last piece will come from the left leaving an exposed end.

You'll want more than just the top and middle rail to secure the joints.
Not sure what you mean there, here's a crude thing I made for a look. I think a lighter neutral color will look better... she doesn't care.

Name:  FENCE 2a.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  38.8 KB

100 inches???? :NO NO NO:

Old 03-20-17, 04:40 PM
You didn't mention if neighbor is trying to get money from your ex due to dog injury.
This is a joke... I think? She has small dogs and the neighbor has two big black things that sound like grizzlies.
Not meant as joke. What you are doing is the right thing. I was just wondering if any legal ramifications are brewing due to the dog injury. Who paid for the vet bill? Whose dog was not leashed and/or controlled? And was the fence in reasonable condition so that a dog can't easily get through it if properly controlled?

Old 03-20-17, 08:17 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Just following along but who owns the fence and who's property is it on? If the fence belongs to your Ex and is on her property then the responsibility falls on your neighbor. Maybe they need to install their own fence?

In any case, report the attack to the police as any, make that ANY, dog bite is a problem. That could very well have been some little girls fingers. The real problem here is the aggressive dogs and that has to be taken care of.

Bud

Old 03-21-17, 02:44 AM
The steel just doesn't make sense. What will you do at the gate? Why not use something that blends better and does the job. I mentioned chicken wire before, but it fell on deaf ears.

Old 03-22-17, 12:45 PM
B
Answer A Few Questions

I mentioned chicken wire before, but it fell on deaf ears.
Right here...
... better all around if they can't even see each other.
I'll stick to that, details in a bit.

What will you do at the gate?
I thought about that too but it is only a couple boards on the inside that a friend installed, two fence boards are weak but no holes. Seems silly to me.

... any legal ramifications are brewing due to the dog injury. Who paid for the vet bill?
Ex did, her dog got his little foot through somehow but won't for long.

And was the fence in reasonable condition so that a dog can't easily get through it if properly controlled?
Yes but he managed to get his foot through/under somewhere, he has a very small foot, but not for long. I'm not sure what you mean by "reasonably controlled", the dog's in the yard with fence around it.

Old 03-22-17, 01:25 PM
B
The "Sweetheart"

Just following along but who owns the fence and who's property is it on? If the fence belongs to your Ex and is on her property then the responsibility falls on your neighbor.
This is the old part of town with 35' lots so the houses were built right on the property line. So, the fence is right on the line. Even though our Animal Control Officer (retired sheriff) was on vacation he called her and said if her dog got his foot through/under ex pays the bill which she did.

In any case, report the attack to the police as any, make that ANY, dog bite is a problem.
She has talked MANY times with the ACO and now the police chief, very understanding, hopefully this comes up with something.

About the sweetheart...

When this "jewel" moved in from Texas she had two big black dogs, Rottweilers or something close. Her very elderly neighbor was walking the alley when they got loose and pinned him to the power pole and took a chunk out of his leg.

The biter was put down and the other one taken away from her. So, now a few years later she has another two big black dogs, look and sound the same.

That could very well have been some little girls fingers. The real problem here is the aggressive dogs and that has to be taken care of.
ABSOLUTELY, and that is what the ex has been going on about with the cops. What the hell do we do, wait till they bite someone then they go? CRAZY. Then again, how can they know they'll bite?

Thinking about this now I'm ready to cry. Here is our youngest grandchild from last year who comes often. Now I'm understanding why she is going a little crazy over this.

Name:  83 chevy.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  50.5 KB

Old 03-22-17, 01:38 PM
B
marksr
2" should be enough overlap.
I don't know why Menards never showed up in my searches, brother told me to look. HA, piece of cake. Ordered cut to order 105" in light grey , should be perfect.

Ex says she hasn't sealed with used motor oil in 10+ years, pretty dry.

Would solid color oil stain in grey work or something else on the old cedar?

Thanks

Old 03-22-17, 04:55 PM
Even if a dog is in his owners own yard, they must still be controlled. A child wandering into a yard with a menacing dog is not responsible for their actions. But the owner must still keep the dig under control at all times.

If the dogs are uncontrolled, the authorities can do something. Best to try to get other neighbors to join in.

Old 03-23-17, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's best to clean the fence before applying any type of stain. Stain doesn't adhere great [including motor oil] over dirt/mildew. Wood also gets a 'glaze' over it when weathered will also hampers good adhesion.

Old 03-23-17, 08:39 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
May have been discussed (I'm lazy) but an outside camera might catch the critter wandering where it shouldn't and provide support for the complaints.

The proper fence needs to be installed by the problem home owner and go entirely around their yard, including protecting fingers. This is no longer a case of "is this a dog/s that bite" it is proven and now before it becomes a finger those dogs need to be contained or removed from next door. You will kick yourself if this moves to the next stage, that grandchild gets injured. Sorry, I get wound up about aggressive dogs. If people want them for protection, that's fine, but there are responsibilities that go along with dangerous dogs.

Bud

Old 03-23-17, 11:27 AM
B
Both back yards are fully enclosed, problem is where they can see each other which my son and I will fix next week when the panels arrive.

My ex grew up in that house and knows all the neighbors and probably half the town. Cops and ACO have been to that neighbor more times than they'd like I'm sure, they can only do so much.

If it ever warms up she can clean and stain the fence, I think it'll be great.

Thanks everyone.

Looking at the pictures again I think they put the posts at 100" (99.5") so a 8' 2x4 would fit between. Never thought of that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: