Fence right next to privet hedge?

Old 05-22-17, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fence right next to privet hedge?

We are looking to put a fence in for a new puppy. We have an invisible fence, but my wife is suddenly concerned about the puppy running out into traffic; so she wants a real fence.

The lot is very narrow, with only 15' between the house and the lot line. On one side it is not an issue; the neighbor already has a fence and we can just use that. On the other there is a privet hedge a foot on our side. I would like to put the fence right against the hedge. It will make pruning difficult, perhaps impossible on the north side. What would you think it would do to the hedge.

We were planning on something like:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Freedom-Com...Panel/50179759

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-17, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
That fence panel you linked to has a picket spacing of almost 3".
That might be a little wide for a puppy.

Black or dark green chain link fence usually works very well against shrubbery.
It's pretty much invisible and when the foliage grows thru it's easy to trim.

Old 05-23-17, 03:25 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
On the other there is a privet hedge a foot on our side.
So the hedge is in fact on your property! So it's your hedge? Correct? Who takes care of it? You or the neighbor?

I would very nicely talk to your neighbor and explain the situation and see what his reaction is.

Old 05-23-17, 03:50 AM
Yes, it is on our side and we take care of it.

Most of the fence has to look good. We are on a lake and the view is a big slug of the value. I suppose what goes up against the hedge doesn't matter; maybe chain link would look better.

I don't think we would be doing this for a while; so 3" ought to be okay.

Another issue is height; but I will post a second question on that.

Old 05-23-17, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If you place a fence in front of the hedge row how will it affect your ability to trim the bushes?

Old 05-23-17, 05:52 AM
It will pretty well trash our ability to trim the hedge on our side; unless it simply grows through the fence and lets us trim it that way.

Old 06-19-17, 10:08 AM
PVC fence... against the bushes.. If you live in a very damp area like the northeast you would likely see a lot of mold up inside those pickets. It is not very attractive and the bushes would make it almost impossible to clean, regardless of which side of the bushes you install the fence.

YES, PVC looks amazing against the water view properties... And if you are near a lake I could only imagine the humidity would encourage the mold to grow. Now this mold is not to be confused with that horrible stuff that grows inside your house, but at the same time it is black, it is green, it is gray and it is very ugly.

I would go with the installation of a nice chain link fence. Black chain link would be best... you could easily find it in a 2 inch diamond or a 1-1/4 inch diamond. But, for the most part a nice 2 inch diamond chain link fence ought to be perfect. And it is available in most larger home stores. If you choose you could also go with doing a color system.. meaning all the pipe and fittings are also the color of the chain link fence. Black to me always looks very rich... or if you are interested in green they have that too.... White is also available, but just like the vinyl fence white would be prone to water and or mold damage.

I did notice on another post a few other questions posed about this question... In that all I can say is this.. And this is just a personal preference over a professional one...
I would never support the use of Underground electric wire
& battery charged shock collars.
This is not because I make a living of selling fencing or anything like that.. I would have to tell you of an experience just to say it right...

This happened about 20 yrs ago... Out in Westbury Long Island NY... I was called to a home of a woman who had a house more or less on the road way.. She wanted me to install 5 new sections of architectural fence panels to continue a line of fencing out in the middle of no where. I asked her why the fence? and she simply said that she did not want to see her neighbors yard...
I also asked her how she managed to keep her dogs in the yard, and she said they have collars on..

I was like Huh? How could the collar stop the dog? And then she informed me about the electric charge the dogs get if they cross the boundary line that is installed underground.
Questioning the amount of power it had was my first mistake...
Taking the collar for walk over the line holding it in my right hand was my second mistake.

I unlike the dog never heard the beeping that would alarm the dog of his getting too close to the boundary line...
And then the shock... The shock was as powerful as you could possibly imagine. The shock traveled through my right arm, Up into my chest and directly through my left arm. I felt it everywhere in my body... I threw the collar down and looked at the lady like she was nuts for doing this to her dogs.

It happened that day just like I said.. It was every bit as painful and hurtful as you could imagine.. It felt like being executed by electrical shock... It was horrible.

I would never, ever support the use of electrical shock collars no matter what the circumstances. Its just not humane.

Good luck to you... Good luck to your new puppy.

Greg's Fence NJ

Give a life and adopt homeless animals~

Old 06-19-17, 10:44 AM
If you choose you could also go with doing a color system.. meaning all the pipe and fittings are also the color of the chain link fence. Black to me always looks very rich...
Rich is right. To me black looks good around a museum or church or something like that, it just jumps out at you too much.

I had a brown one installed a couple years ago, posts and all and I like it. Brown just seems a more natural color outdoors with trees and stuff. Dog likes it too.

Just my opinion which means nothing outside my house.

Old 06-19-17, 11:30 AM
We are going with 15' of wood fence from the side of my house to my neighbor's wood fence so they match. 120' of white PVC fence across the back of the yard. 40' of black plastic coated chain link fence along the pivot hedge, and 20' of white PVC (with 2 4' gates) back to the side of the house.

I wanted to use wood fence and one gate for the final leg, but wifey decided otherwise. She has more money than me, apparently.

We have used an invisible fence for 23 years with two dogs; 18 at our old house and 5 here. You can set it for intensity; at our level it hurts, but not so bad, maybe like being jabbed by a pin. Our dogs have never challenged it once they learned where it is, but wifey is afraid of it for our new puppy. The cars go much faster here than at our old house. She might be right.