Any idea where I can find these fence staples?

Old 11-18-17, 10:54 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any idea where I can find these fence staples?

I would like to reattach a plank to my fence using the exact same hardware all the other planks are using. I realize I could use wood screws, etc., but I'd really like to keep everything uniform. To that end, can anyone tell me where I can buy fence staples like these:

I am not looking for this:

Old 11-18-17, 11:49 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Those may be from a pneumatic staple gun.

Old 11-19-17, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Likely a gun, as stated, esp if this was a fence using prefab panels. Similar type are used on pallets and some cheap outdoor furniture.

Old 11-19-17, 04:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, those look like gun staples. You can get them almost anywhere. Just look in the section with the gun nails. But... once you get them you likely will not be able to drive them in. They will probably bend when you try to hammer them in. It's almost required to use a staple gun to install them.

Old 11-19-17, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's a 7/16 crown staple. Commonly used for sheathing. This is one of the guns that shoots them.

Old 11-19-17, 07:26 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You might be able to hand drive the staple if you first drill with a bit one drill size smaller than the staple. You just need to buy a clip of staples.

Or rent a similar gun.

Old 11-19-17, 10:49 AM
P
Thanks, everyone. The information is both helpful and disheartening at the same time. I was hoping I'd be able to do this with the tools I have. Maybe someone I know has one of the guns. Thanks again.

Old 11-20-17, 05:30 AM
J
Check Harbor Freight. I bought a Narrow Crown staple gun from them for not a lot of $. You will need an air compressor to drive the staples. I don't use the HF staples.....get Hitachi or Porter Cable staples at Lowes or Home Depot. Another option is to rent the gun for your project.

Old 11-23-17, 02:49 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
They are not attached one by one.. Those staples are used in a gun..shot in a million at a time within a minute. Most times sections are attached with these staples the pickets usually fall off... They are not very secure... Most times the wood dries out and the staples are not deep enough into the rails to secure the pickets to the rails...
HD,....or another big box super store would have these if you look in the nail gun area.... But you would need a nailer in order install them. They are not very easy to handle one at a time without the nail gun.. trying to do so would cost you a few fingers...

The other staple shown in the picture would not be good... I know you said you did not want to use those anyway.. but just putting it out there... those staples would damage the wood if used.

Nails are a good option.

Screws are a better option.

Good luck...

Greg's Fence NJ

Save a life, Adopt a homeless animal ~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: