Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Follow the slope or keep top level?

FL

12-06-17, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Follow the slope or keep top level?

Hello all,

Planning to replace existing shadowbox fence, parts of which are on a slight slope, which existing does not follow with full length pickets, rather Installer appears to have cut the pickets, on the bottom. along slope, and kept top level. I know it doesn't look like it ,in the pic, but it is level on top.

The fence is only 68.5" at house, then gradually pickets get longer and work up to the allowed 72" as you go away from house down slope, to the gate hinge post. The majority of the fence is on level ground after a 90 degree turn up into backyard, so my main concern is this gate area, especially, if I use PVC. A local supplier says he can only make square PVC gates NOT sloped but I'm still considering wood.

That said,, what would you do, at gate area...Follow the slope with full pickets/panels or cut them to keep top level?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

MI

12-06-17, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Keep top level as much as possible even stepping vs following slope which looks horrible!

TN

12-06-17, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Keep all pickets the same height and follow the slope.

FL

12-06-17, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)  
That's what I thought!

FWIW: A quick search seems to tell me, the general rule of thumb is to keep all pickets the same height and follow the slope. That said, if following the slope with PVC, there are a couple of concerns, that come to mind:
1) There's going to be a pizza slice shaped gap, at the house. How would you deal with that gap?
2) What issues , if any, can potentially arise from the PVC gate following the slope?

TN

12-07-17, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)  
When following the slope, all pickets are the same height and all pickets are plumb.

CT

12-07-17, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Follow the old layout unless you want to move fence posts. Being the fence is enclosing a pool there has to be regulations for allowable gaps at the bottom and minimum fence height. Make sure your replacement meets both.

FL

12-07-17, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Posted By: beelzebob Follow the old layout unless you want to move fence posts. Being the fence is enclosing a pool there has to be regulations for allowable gaps at the bottom and minimum fence height. Make sure your replacement meets both.
Thanks!
I'm following the old layout as close as I can and have removed first 2 posts. The one just behind house was easy, about a foot of concrete down, it was sitting on top of foundation;. The gate hinge post was a BIATCH! 3.5 feet of concrete down a 7" wide strip of earth between concrete, on 2 sides and pavers on another. Needless to say, some pavers had to come out. That said, whether, I go with PVC or wood will determine exactly where new posts must go. Code here says: wood posts every 4 ft vs PVC post every 6 ft.; I can't put new middle stringer in middle, it must be higher so it can't be used as a step, to climb over. Because of pool, I also believe there's a minimum height requirement on the latch/lock. I'll ask about allowable gap at bottom, as well as, min. fence height.

Search this Thread