Wood post options

Old 12-14-17, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood post options

Are there decent wood post options available anymore with the newer PT chemicals? I have a 20 year old fence, the round posts are rotting out at the top where the end grain was exposed (should have been covered or sealed). Only a few rotted at the base. There's no concrete at bases.

I'd like to do similar (no concrete) for the replacement but the PT 4x4 and round "fence" posts available say they're warrantied . . . but not for ground contact. If I could build a similar fence that would last half as long as the old one I'd be happy. But I have a few hose bib posts that have rotted at the base in 3 years.

The fence material between the posts would be no-climb welded wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-17, 12:00 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
They DO make pressure treated lumber for direct burial but it is not as common as simple ground contact lumber. It is also significantly more expensive. You may need to go to a specialty lumber yard and not a mega-mart homecenter to find it.

Old 12-15-17, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll check around. Am I looking for some treatment specification in particular?

For example, looking at the most expensive options like Yellawood 4x4s at Home Depot or Lowes, the label is very vague. Nothing about treatment concentration or anything. (Plus half of the info is on the back so you have to pull if off the staple to read it). You have to go online, find the 10-year warranty, and read it carefully for "exclusions".

Old 12-15-17, 12:25 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I'm sorry, I do not have any specific treatment specifications. I only know that "burial" lumber does exist. I haven't personally used any PT lumber for about 20 years. As previously stated I would not be surprised that a homecenter did not have it and I would not be surprised if a homecenter employee tried to tell you it doesn't exist. Don't limit your search to mega-mart homecenters.

Old 12-15-17, 07:44 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Try farm stores such as Tractor Supply or your local farmers coop.