Mailbox Rusting Off Metal Pole

Old 01-11-18, 05:26 PM
Mailbox Rusting Off Metal Pole

Hello. I moved into my home two years ago, the previous owner was here 50 years. My mailbox may have been here since as long as she was. The mailbox is rusting off of the round metal pole at the bottom, and now the box twists and turns in the wind, so it is not even facing the road!
I can lift the mailbox off the metal post, which is set in concrete below the ground.
Does anyone know where I can buy a mailbox which would slip over the existing metal pole in the ground?
Or perhaps a wood board with a pre-drilled hollow spot in the middle which I can slip over the pole, and then attach a mailbox to the wood board?

Name:  m.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  51.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-12-18 at 07:33 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-18, 02:03 AM
There really is no ready made parts that are going to save that post, if it's that loose it will just need to be removed and replaced!

Old 01-12-18, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. If it's too much trouble to remove the concrete the post is set in you could set the new post either along side it or on the other side of the driveway.

Old 01-12-18, 06:52 AM
Remove the mail box from the post. Remove the post and concrete anchor(which probably is not very deep into the ground).

Replace the post and attach the mailbox.

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-12-18, 09:28 AM
OK thanks for the advice. I thought maybe I could somehow use that old post which is set in concrete, but being that it's likely been there 52 years it's probably best to dig it up and start fresh with a new mailbox.

Old 01-12-18, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
If you are saying the metal is rusted off at the ground, dig out the soil around it, build a form around it (say 12x12) and pour another 3 1/2" of concrete around the iron base. That would get you by a while longer for about $5 in concrete.

Old 01-12-18, 05:31 PM
The steel pole is still in the ground cemented in as solid as a rock. No problem with the pole.
The black mailbox is what is rusting out at the bottom. The mailbox is hollow and slips over the metal pole. The black mailbox also has a small pole attached to the front of it that goes into the ground for extra support, but that attached pole is rusting out.

If I could find another hollow mailbox with a small anchor post in front, I could just slip it over the pole and anchor the mailbox pole into the ground. But I don't think they make mailboxes like this one (circa 1965) any longer.

Old 01-13-18, 03:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you post a pic showing the underside of your mailbox? I was thinking those types of posts had a plate at the top that the box was secured to. I'm sure either the post or new mailbox can be modified to work.

Old 01-13-18, 06:34 AM
I completely misunderstood your problem.

Everything at the ground id fine?

The problem is where the mailbox attaches to the post?

As stated previously, photos showing how the mailbox attaches to the post would be helpful so we can help you.

Old 01-13-18, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
I can see it now... thanks to pjmax reorienting the picture... the large black post is corroded near the ground... it looks like it is slipped over another pipe, maybe galvanized. Drilling a hole through both pipes and inserting a bolt would stop the swaying temporarily.

Old 01-18-18, 01:38 PM
The steel pole is still in the ground cemented in as solid as a rock. No problem with the pole.
If everything at the ground is okay (even though I see rust) and the issue is under the mailbox, then a picture of the underside of the mailbox sure would help.