Mounting Gate and Fence Post on Sloped Concrete

Old 03-09-18, 08:55 AM
Mounting Gate and Fence Post on Sloped Concrete

I need to mount a fence post that will hold up a gate on a fairly heavily sloped section of concrete. How can I solidly mount the post so that it is straight up and down as well as support the weight of the gate?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-18, 09:41 AM
I am curious about this as well. Just replying to stay in the loop.

Old 03-09-18, 01:07 PM
What size gate and made from what material(s)? Trying to visualize weight of gate.

Old 03-09-18, 01:47 PM
The plan is to make it out of cedar. Probably 6 tall and 4 wide. Nothing is firmed up but Id like the fence wide enough to get a lawn mower, wheel barrow or large yard debris container.

Old 03-09-18, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In my opinion, the only way to get a post strong enough to support a gate that size is to sink it into the ground, embed in concrete and then proceed. No surface mount post stand off will give you enough support to keep the post straight and level. Leverage works in two ways, one to pull the post down, and another to prevent that. Digging down into the earth will give the post enough strength to hold your gate up. 6x6 optimal or 4x4 marginal to support the gate.

Old 03-10-18, 09:13 AM
I agree with czizzi.

If the bottom of the gate will be angled to follow the slope of the concrete, the hinges must be on the down slope side of the gate.

Old 03-10-18, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info. Saves me from making a mistake. Are there any alternatives that I should look at other than a wooden post? I am thinking it would be difficult to cut a hole that big in the concrete. Would a round steel post work any better? I think it would last longer for sure.