How to Fill an Oversize Post Hole?

Old 04-15-18, 04:00 PM
How to Fill an Oversize Post Hole?

I have removed two rotted posts and concrete plugs. I have sort of enormous holes because of the size of the concrete that I removed. Is there any good way to get the ground solid again before setting new posts in the same location? I used Sonotube several yrs ago and that post never was solid. I can dig the new post hole a little deeper than what I removed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-18, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
A post or sonotube is only as solid as the backfill in/around the hole. A mix of gravel and soil, tamped down as you backfill will generally provide good support. In unstable soils, post depth needs to be greater. Crushed limestone is also a good backfill material.

Old 07-19-18, 02:08 PM
I just dealt with this issue. We used the old post holes broken concrete (pieces ranging from several inches to a foot) and kind of stacked it like a ice cream cone around the post leaving the space for the concrete pour obviously. We cut the old post into smaller pieces to reinforce the "cone" then filled it with concrete.

Pulled the wood out a day later and filled the ring with soil, soaking and tamping every foot or so to compact it.