Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

build fence without access to neighboring property

Old 05-20-18, 01:42 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I want to build 6' wood stockade fence. Gaining access to the neighbors property is not going to be possible. And I wonder how can the installer get this done without giving up a few feet of real estate.

Is it possible to install wood fence without access to the other side?
Do you need access to the other side to install a chain link fence?

Old 05-20-18, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Everything can be done from your side. Remember... the good side must face the neighbor and be sure if there are any zoning issues with the fence they are taken care of. Fences can be very controversial and can cause hard feelings with neighbors. Make sure you abide by your towns codes.

Old 05-20-18, 04:18 PM
R
thanks, thats good news but I cant wrap my head around how it can be installed from my side only... the boards or panels are attached from the front, no?

Old 05-21-18, 12:05 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Fence panels are pre-fabricated.

Rustic stockade fence will have panels with horizontal rails that extend beyond the face slats and end with tenons. The round posts will have holes to accept the tenons. More finished privacy fences will have pre-fabricated panels with square ends that nail into square posts.

Dig the post hole, plant the post, mount the fence panel with the tenons inserted into the post, dig the next hole, plant the second post inserting tenons from first panel, mount second panel, etc., etc.

All can be done from one side and made even easier because the horizontal rails are on your side and are used to move the panels into place.

Old 05-21-18, 12:49 PM
R
thanks!

i have a guy proposing to stick build the fence. He says he needs access, there is also a small picket fence, right on the property line (not mine), so he would have to work between the new posts and the picket fence. Says maybe at least 2' needed but I dont want to give an inch... (although a foot off the property line would seem feasible.)

Is there anyway to swing this with a stick built fence?

Old 05-21-18, 01:00 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ryso1
Gaining access to the neighbors property is not going to be possible.
Depending on what state you're in, there may be laws on the booksabout"division fence" or party-wall or party-fence law. There may be local codes as well.

There are probably legal decisions about temporary easements for access to construct fencing.

So, why do you want the fence?

I've had situations where somebody needed a fence to keep the neighbors dogs off their property / in the neighbors property. Neighbor was absolutely against it, wouldn't agree to access for the fence.
Well, there's an old law in Pennsylvania that says you can build a fence to keep domestic animals in/out
and if you place it on the property line, then you can bill the other side for 1/2 the cost.
- Neighbor became more accomodating.

-Disclaimer, I'm an attorney, but I'm' not YOUR attorney....

Old 05-22-18, 01:56 PM
R
I decided to go with 6' chain link..... do you need accss to the neighbor side to install chain link fencing?

There is another dilapidated fence on the property line. And I dont have permission to be on the other side.

Is an installer able to roll out chain link fencing on my side and still install it with the posts on my side as intended? I never installed chain link fencing so I have no idea if this is feasible..... what do you think?

Last edited by ryso1; 05-22-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 02:18 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
In most cases a neighbor made be MADE to allow access to build a fence or allow access to maintain one's property.

True story. My Father-in-law had to call the police and they had to stand by in order for him to use the neighbors yard to paint his house! She was a nasty old hag. I understand she ranted and raved through out the process.

Old 05-23-18, 08:40 AM
R
can anyone comment in regards to installation of chain link in this situation?

Old 05-23-18, 09:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
It's possible but more difficult.

Old 05-30-18, 01:55 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I only just noticed your post... sorry for my delay....

Stockade on steel posts is very doable... Installing 2 inch diameter or 2 1/2" diameter steel posts 8 foot on center from each other... Installing steel to wood brackets.. 2 minimum per post.. one for the upper rail, one for the lower rail.
Lag bolts... screw into the back rails...

Easily enough first you install the posts..

Easily enough you would carry the sections into the yard, good side facing outwards, sliding the sections of materials in place between the posts... lifting them up and placing them on the brackets... Holding them in place and screwing the wood sections in through the brackets.
Done.

As for your choice of chain link mesh..

I Would choose to install all the posts at the proper height first.
Do not install the top rail just yet.
Roll the wire out with the help of at least 2 helpers... Pulling the wire out for the full length of the line while sliding the wire past the outer side of the fence posts...
Place a temporary wire tie on every other post so that the wire does not fall down..
Once you have all the wire up, Now you install the top rail... Take the temporary ties off the posts and install them on the top rail... assuring the wire does not fall into the neighbors yard,.
Now you could complete the job as you would any other chain link job...

It is very doable... But doing it this way is just harder, thus it will take you longer to manage.

For sure, because of the pushing and pulling of the wire mesh I would wait until the cement on the posts are completely set up before installing the wire... I know I can do it same day with no problems, but that is because I have done it many times... and I likely have every tool I need to accomplish the job... But for someone else I would advise letting the cement to set up hard before going further into the work.

Good luck.... Let us know how it all worked out.

Greg's Fence Nj...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: