Fence Rails

Old 06-22-18, 07:17 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Fence Rails

I am building a short fence approximately 3 meters long and am using 75mm posts but have rails that are 88mm by 38mm. Normally the 88mm would be vertical, but can I install them with the 88mm horizontal ? or does this cause strength problems I am attaching 150mm planks "hit & miss" with 75mm gaps to both sides of the rails. I have a table saw and can cut the 88mm down to 75mm, both sides will be flush with the posts and the planks will run the same level both sides for the planks. I hope this is not confusing

Knighty

Old 06-22-18, 08:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I think you might have problem with sagging between your posts if you run the rails horizontally. It won't be a problem though if your vertical planks are resting on the ground.

Old 06-23-18, 04:51 AM
K
Thanks for the reply. I could make the planks rest on the ground to give rigidity. I am painting all the wood before erecting the fence and when doing this a thought came to me, after reading your reply, that I could insert vertical noggins in the centre between each of the three rails and one resting on the ground under the lowest rail to give it extra rigidity.

Old 06-23-18, 05:04 AM
K
I have just re-read my original question and think I may have confused the situation and not stated clearly what the fence will be. It may be read that I am making a three meter fence between two posts but there will be four posts, the centre section will be about six feet between posts and either side will be shorter distances of three feet or so between posts.
When I bought the wood from the timber merchant he told me I could not lay the rails with the 88mm horizontal but I was not sure he was right , hence my question.

Last edited by Knighty; 06-23-18 at 05:08 AM. Reason: further explanation required.
Old 06-23-18, 03:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Yes, you generally don't want the short dimension of the lumber horizontal as it's weakest at supporting the weight of the fence.

Old 06-24-18, 01:25 AM
K
I take your point. I have just re-measured the rails using a more accurate rule rather than a tape measure and the width of the rails is not 38mm but 37mm. This means I could have two rails on the 75mm posts, one for each side and fit them together or one below the other with the 88mm side vertical. That would solve the strength problem and also allow me to have the facia planks on both sides and they will look uniform.
To explain this fence line is my neighbours on her property but I have asked her if I can remove unsightly leylandii hedge and put a fence in their place. I feel that I should let her have a nice facia to look at on her side and also I would like the same on my side, hence the need for the planks to be on both sides when normally it would be only one side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: