How to properly fix sagging gates

Old 07-29-18, 09:15 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to properly fix sagging gates

I had a vinyl fence put in last August. There is a double gate that I never used, so until I had to start mowing my lawn, i didn't realize how bad it had gotten. The two gates were rubbing up against each other and it was difficult to open.

I complained in June and they came out and "fixed" it. The guy kept hitting a steel pole into the ground until he massaged the posts back into position. It was like new, for a couple weeks. Now they are starting to sag in again. If it stayed like it is now, I would be satisfied, but I expect that in a couple months I won't be able to open the gate again.

The 1 year warranty is up in 4 weeks, so I need it fixed properly. Presumably that means doing more than hitting the ground with a steel pole. What would a proper fix be?

You can see that there is virtually no gap at the top.

I don't know much about fences, but it seems to me that he installed the hinges wrong.

It is adjusted to be as close to the end post as possible. If it were adjusted the other way, I could fix the sag (at least temporarily) by pulling the hinge in, but it is already all the way in. Does this make sense, or am I wrong?

And finally, I have complained twice within the warranty period about poor installation. If it fails again for the same reason, does that qualify as a valid warranty claim, or is it 1 year and out regardless.

I had a big box do it, and they used a sub.

Old 07-29-18, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 626 Likes on 535 Posts
No adjustment to the hinges or posts will fix the sagging gate. They/you need to add a diagonal board to support the gate to keep it square

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-18, 10:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Most home centers sell a kit for just such a job. It includes corner brackets, cable and a turnbuckle. You install it opposite of how Tolyn showed and tighten the turnbuckle to pull the outer edge of the gate back into shape.

Old 07-29-18, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Turnbuckles could also be added to raise the bottom of each gate... But they would be installed in the opposite direction that a brace would. Tolyn covered that well.

But if your posts are leaning... ie they are closer at the top than at the bottom, then you also need to address the leaning posts.

Old 07-29-18, 11:02 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sense is that the posts are leaning, rather than the gates deforming. Could be wrong, but when he "fixed" it, he didn't touch the gates; just the posts.

Old 07-29-18, 11:08 AM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
The turnbuckle idea is the proper fix. However, as XSLPR stated the post problem is the source. Most likely they were not properly installed in a concrete base and/or you have poor soil conditions. Another typical reason why you should not have a big box store do installations. A fence company would've known how to do it right the first time. Plus their name would be on it. Competition is high in the fence industry, so a good job and word of mouth is important.

Absolutely continue to go after the store and the sub. Your warranty is still enforceable if the original problem is not solved while it was in fact under warranty. Keep good records of when each repair was being done and remember what the installer says.

Old 07-29-18, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Could be some of both. The gates don't look level at all. Vinyl gates are notoriously wimpy when there is nothing to keep them square they sag.

Old 07-29-18, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 626 Likes on 535 Posts
My sense is that the posts are leaning,
Looking at your picture it appears that they have the post leaning away from the gate opening to try to compensate for the sagging gate. Like this: \ / This will not be enough to fix that sag.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: