Can't get correct color to stain fence

Old 04-27-19, 03:36 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't get correct color to stain fence

I'm new here. I've held up my project for months/yrs probably of putting up a wood fence with the color if stain I want. We stated with lattice pieces to keep the dog from getting out meanwhile looking into a permanent fence. It's been yrs and not that we bought all the wood, I cant find the color stain I want. I've use multiple interior stains for other projects, I'm a party planner, but when looking for exterior color, im done. I've bought so many exterior samples, even changed the color I wanted just to make it easier and non have been true to color. Would it be ok to just use interior ? Or can I mix exterior colors? I just like the transparent look I get with interior, exterior just looks like water down paint. Any suggestions? We gave up and decided to hire someone for the labor but still no stain choosen.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-19, 05:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Would it be ok to just use interior ?
No. They are different formulations and the inside version is not durable like required for outside.
can I mix exterior colors?
Yes but it could be a nightmare in the future if you have to match it.
I would look into semi-transparent deck stains; that's where you're going to get the most durability and there are a lot of color choices.

Old 04-28-19, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
It sounds like you might want a translucent or toner stain. They barely color the wood. Solid stains are more like a thin paint. Semi-transparent stains are in between the two. If you go to a real paint store they will have a good selection of stains [and can custom mix] along with having better stains than typically offered at a big box store. The better the stain the longer it should hold up.

btw - welcome to the forums!