Can't get correct color to stain fence

Old 04-27-19, 04:36 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't get correct color to stain fence

I'm new here. I've held up my project for months/yrs probably of putting up a wood fence with the color if stain I want. We stated with lattice pieces to keep the dog from getting out meanwhile looking into a permanent fence. It's been yrs and not that we bought all the wood, I cant find the color stain I want. I've use multiple interior stains for other projects, I'm a party planner, but when looking for exterior color, im done. I've bought so many exterior samples, even changed the color I wanted just to make it easier and non have been true to color. Would it be ok to just use interior ? Or can I mix exterior colors? I just like the transparent look I get with interior, exterior just looks like water down paint. Any suggestions? We gave up and decided to hire someone for the labor but still no stain choosen.

Old 04-27-19, 06:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Would it be ok to just use interior ?
No. They are different formulations and the inside version is not durable like required for outside.
can I mix exterior colors?
Yes but it could be a nightmare in the future if you have to match it.
I would look into semi-transparent deck stains; that's where you're going to get the most durability and there are a lot of color choices.

Old 04-28-19, 03:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
It sounds like you might want a translucent or toner stain. They barely color the wood. Solid stains are more like a thin paint. Semi-transparent stains are in between the two. If you go to a real paint store they will have a good selection of stains [and can custom mix] along with having better stains than typically offered at a big box store. The better the stain the longer it should hold up.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: