Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

What's the typical height of chain link fence posts?

Old 05-26-19, 01:27 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We're moving a section of fencing that was installed back in the mid-80's. It's a four ft tall fence so are the post most likely six feet tall? And are the thicker one (at the gate and ends) any taller?

Old 05-26-19, 03:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 852 Votes on 787 Posts
A common guide is that 1/3 of the post is buried in the ground. Yes, often corner and gate posts are larger diameter, thicker wall or buried deeper. But, there is no regulation or anything for fence installation so what you have it totally dependent on the installer 30 years ago. You'll just have to get started and see what you find.

Old 05-27-19, 02:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Posts come in standard lengths although there might be small diameter differences between brands. While the top rail often gets cut to fit, it's not likely the posts were. The odds are the gate posts are concreted in place. How wide is your gate?

Old 05-27-19, 07:17 AM
W
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
My chain link fence was built by a well-known local fencing company. I observed the work. The installers installed the posts taller than needed, and cut them to the correct height to accept the top rail bracket. This is the only practical way to get the exact height needed for a good fencing job.

You will need to remove the concrete setting material from each post and re-set the post slightly shallow and re-cut the top to the correct height.

Old 05-27-19, 07:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Admittedly I've only seen a few chain link fences installed but what I remember is seeing them string a line from one corner to the other and then setting the posts to match that height. I copied that method on the 2 chain link fences I've installed. I'd have thought cutting the posts after they were set would be more work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: