Advice for refinishing iron gate

Old 06-19-19, 11:06 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice for refinishing iron gate

I am about to undertake the refinishing project of my iron gate and am seeking advice on how best to remove the old paint first. I purchased an angle grinder with a wire cup brush and a wire wheel brush, but the ornamental sections of the gate are so grooved and intricate that I feel like it would take way too long to remove paint that way. A friend suggested using Jasco paint remover to strip the paint that way. I have never used paint stripper before, so what should I cover other surfaces with that I don't want to ruin (house siding, concrete). Will plastic drop sheets be melted by the paint stripper? Would you recommend using paint stripper or wire wheel? Or combination of both

Attached Images   
Old 06-19-19, 11:10 AM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I would recommend using a small sandblaster.

Old 06-19-19, 11:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Can you remove the gate? If you used a paint stripper with the gate in place you'd need to protect the siding with plastic. If the existing paint is sound and adhered well it doesn't have to be removed to repaint.

Old 06-20-19, 09:15 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would like to keep the gate in place while I do the work. I will cover the surrounding areas with plastic. Thanks for the advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: