UV Coating on Vinyl Fences

Old 06-27-19, 09:31 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UV Coating on Vinyl Fences

Had a new Vinyl fence installed a couple of seasons ago and it eventually got pretty grimy so I hit it with the power washer and thought everything was great.

Fast forward to today I learned that I most likely compromised the UV coating on the fence. Any ideas on what I can do to try to 'repair' the UV coating. My searches have all come up short. Mostly people just saying never to power wash or scrub vinyl, but never what to do if you were a bonehead and already have.

Thanks

Old 06-27-19, 10:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 754 Votes on 693 Posts
Most plastic fencing is PVC which is naturally resistant to UV and I don't think there is a UV coating on it. Unfortunately the plastic is porous so it can stain and harbor mildew and other things that make it look dirty.

Old 07-02-19, 09:07 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think I was mistaken. It wasn't a UV coating but a mold/mildew/algae resistant coating. I guess I'll just have to live with it as is.

For anyone out there with PVC fences...just curious what is your typical cleaning routine/interval? Is it more preventative or just do it when it gets too rough on the eyes type of thing?

Old 07-02-19, 09:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 754 Votes on 693 Posts
Unfortunately there is not a great solution for cleaning PVC. A big part of the problem is dirt, mildew and algae can get into the pores in the plastic. I think regular cleaning is the key as there isn't a lot you can do when it get really bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: