Installing a tarp

Old 07-14-19, 06:23 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Installing a tarp

Hi All, we want to install a tarp over a frame approximately 69’ X 6’ , we are thinking of using several tarps held in place by ball type bungees, the frame will be pitched to shed water.
Looking for suggestions.
Geo

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-19, 08:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question: how will you keep the tarps from sagging between the right to left horizontal supports and collecting water?
(A friend had a similar situation and encountered this problem. He changed out the tarps for acrylic (??) panels.)

Old 07-14-19, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
First, what gauge is your railroad? I have a friend with a coal fired live steam engine in 7 1/2" gauge and I have a small electric G scale setup at my house.

I think sagging and collecting water will be a big problem. One option is to use porous shade sails. They will shade much of the sun and catch debris from the trees to keep the track clear but will let water pass through. Another option is corrugated steel or acrylic panels.

Old 07-14-19, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
I have a fairly large tarp between house and shed so I can work there. Have work bench with chop saw there. Found out tarps from Harbor freight, Lowes HD all will fail after 7 or 8 months. Spent about 10 more dollars at Northern tools and tarp has lasted almost 2 years and no problems.My tarp does drain but snow is trouble. tarp spans about 6 feet in most areas but around doorway it is about 10 feet.