Advice on shallow fence posts

Old 08-25-19, 09:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice on shallow fence posts

I hired a builder who had done some good work for me to build a 6' wooden picket fence. He did a good job on work before. However, he did not sink the 4x4 posts deep enough into the ground on this project. Although we discussed my expectations about 2' depth on posts in writing and verbally, some posts are not even a full foot down in concrete. I live in South Carolina. Only the posts are in so far, nothing else. Before proceeding with the rest of the fence I am sending this request for information out to this forum. Here are some options I am considering but add more if you have any ideas,
1. I could build a 4' fence instead of 6'.
2. The ground slopes so I could build up dirt around the posts to add at least another 8-12" of support, perhaps filling with concrete.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-19, 10:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
really should probably be deeper 2 ft is even to shallow for a 6 ft fence would probably see about removing them and starting over.

Old 08-25-19, 02:22 PM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
The general rule is 1/3 the height MINIMIUM, but if my fence at 6' there would be a 10' post and I'd have at most 4' in the ground

If he's going to cut corners on the most important part of the job, what's next?