Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Setting Fence post in concrete vs secureset foam

Old 09-22-19, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am going to put a fence between the house and barn it's about 60 feet. I'm going to do round fence posts at each end and on each side of the gate. I have a 10 foot gate chain link I'm going to hang. Should I use concrete or secureset foam and how big should my holes be. I find different information online. In between the wood posts I'm driving t posts.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-19, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Lot depends on type of soil you have. I just put gates in clay and the holes I dug were to small and gates sagged. Thought I had dug the post holes to big but they were to small. Used to 80 lb bags of concrete and had to put a connecting post over the top. These were just man gates 6 foot tall.

Old 09-23-19, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
The big differences are speed and cost. Foam is expensive but fast. Concrete is cheap but takes much longer to cure.

In most cases I do not use concrete or foam around fence posts. I tamp in crusher run (crushed stone) around the post in the hole. It can hold the posts rock solid and there is no waiting for curing. I only use concrete if the ground is soft or weak and I'll over dig the hole and use concrete so it bears on a larger area of soil.

Old 09-23-19, 09:09 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
not sure what type of fence your using would look into an H brace for the gate and ends or a corner brace if the fence continues you can make them out of wood but they can also be metal your local farm supply may offer premade metal h braces or corner braces but they are more expensive but should last forever.
would probably use concrete really not familiar with the foam set.

Old 09-23-19, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
going off of the calculators on secure sets website and Lowe's website the secure set fosm is actually a lot cheaper than the quikrete brand concrete from Lowe's. Lowe's says the hole needs to be three times the diameter of the post the secure set website for a 5-in post says 9-in hole.

Old 09-23-19, 12:45 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
concrete has been used successfully for a long time its heavy and foam is not, I like the one review where post actually floated up after a lot of rainfall probably in soil that didnt drain well.

Old 09-24-19, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
As far as cost per hole you are comparing apples and oranges because of the different hole sizes. If you look at the amount of material needed for same size holes you'll see that foam is more expensive.

Old 09-24-19, 01:03 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Crushed limestone with the down (dust) is cheaper than both foam and concrete and will hold the post secure when tamped. Use 1/2 inch or smaller if available in your area.

Old 09-24-19, 02:36 PM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
I would not use the foam on any post or structure that has any type of strain on it. A mailbox post OK, but not a fence post. At our store we set up a display using 4 x 4 post in a 5 gal bucket. I can pick that thing up with one hand. I don't think it can with stand a strong wind or strain.