Unbending mesh of chainlink fence

Old 11-04-19, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unbending mesh of chainlink fence

A tree fell on my chain link fence bending the mesh down. How can I straighten it

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-19, 08:28 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?

Old 11-04-19, 08:46 AM
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
A tree fell on my chain link fence bending the mesh down. How can I straighten it
When metal is bent by a force in one direction, you straighten it by applying a force in the exact opposite direction.

1)A steel cable from some other tree to ~5 feet from the fence, then use a hand-winch (come-along) to pull on a 4x4 post to re-bend the fence.

2) Similar setup, but with a ramp, a 1.5 ton automobile and a steel cable, with a 4x4 post to redirect the force from the weight of the vehicle UPWARD.

3) 4x4 post against the fence, with a jack (scissor, hydraulic or pneumatic) pushing the fence back into position.

Old 11-04-19, 09:27 AM
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
Yes, have to see how mangled it is.
Also what other damage it did re: top rail and posts

Old 11-04-19, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Once you straighten or replace the top rail the rest shouldn't be too hard to stretch back into place.

Old 11-05-19, 07:06 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The bent fabric and top rail can be easily replaced.

Old 11-05-19, 08:42 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
I've had many smaller trees fall on my fencing over the years. I take the rail off and put it in a fork in a tree and bend it right back. The mesh, well, like they said above, but I've had some that I had to get pliers and bend each square in the mesh to get it back in shape.

Old 11-06-19, 06:39 AM
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
I've had many smaller trees fall on my fencing over the years. I take the rail off and put it in a fork in a tree and bend it right back.
Quick tips for straightening a hollow thin-walled metal pipe:

First, cap one end and fill the pipe you're going to bend with sand. This keeps the hollow pipe from buckling .

Second, If you have access to a "scrap pile" of various sizes of metal pipe,try and find 2 sections of pipe that JUST slips OVER the pipe you're straightening. This helps spread out the load so you don't bend the end parts of the pipe while you try and straighten the middle.

Third, I've used a fork in a tree for bending pipe; but bending against the back tires of a yard tractor as a the fulcrum works really well.
Bending the kink against the rubber tractor tires keep the pole from slipping, and avoids buckling.

Summary,
cap one end, fill with sand, slide a "collar" of a larger post over the end(s) for leverage.
Then bend against the back tire of a lawn tractor to get an even re-bend