Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Best / most economical fence that could support 1000 lbs

Old 11-11-19, 08:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am in Florida and have a screened patio. I wish to cover the outside of the patio with a fence that would keep all creatures from able to enter, to keep the cat safe.I figure the heaviest animal would be an alligator climbing the fence, at 1000 lbs. I was thinking of using 2x4 woven wire fence, 12.5 gauge, and I can attach it directly to the metal framing of the patio. The product did not mention anything about high-tensile, etc. Would this type of fence be able to support a 1000 lb creature trying to climb up it? Any other suggestions?

Old 11-11-19, 09:06 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I figure the heaviest animal would be an alligator climbing the fence, at 1000 lbs
Prove me wrong, but I have never heard of an alligator climbing a fence!

Old 11-12-19, 09:36 AM
S
There are a lot of videos on youtube, heres a recent one !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7DMjQJD7vM

Old 11-12-19, 09:39 AM
S
Prove me wrong, but I have never heard of an alligator climbing a fence!
There are a lot of videos on youtube, heres a recent one !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7DMjQJD7vM

Old 11-12-19, 09:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Just before I moved from fla there was a pic on the news of an alligator climbing a 4' chainlink fence.
2x4 fencing isn't a stout as chain link although even if the gator busted some of the welds I don't think a gator could get thru.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-12-19, 09:56 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Put up a normal fence.

Put a 10,000 volt electric livestock line along the outer perimeter.

Should deter EVERYTHING from climbing the fence.

Old 11-12-19, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
to what Hal said.

On the practical side, are you in an area where there is a body of water, i.e. is alligator invasion even remotely likely?

Old 11-12-19, 11:14 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Hay Marq, it don't happen often, but well...

Old 11-12-19, 11:22 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Building a fence strong enough to support the gator just means he might be able to get in. Shifting your focus to a fence a gator is unlikely to climb, like vertical pickets, might be more secure. A chain link fence is providing a perfect foot hold for those critters.

Bud

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-12-19, 05:01 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I stand corrected, just another reason I dont want to live in Florida!!

Old 11-12-19, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
But a Bigfoot (Yeti) can weigh well over 1000 lbs you know... And the 10000 volts will just make him mad.

Old 12-08-19, 03:00 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hmm,... there is always a new question that perks the best response... An alligator climbing a fence was a video worth tuning in to see... And yeah... Never knew they can climb a fence but now I do... so I have to keep that in mind when giving advice on installing fencing in Florida...

So... In the answer, the answer is a no brainer, but definitely not economical.. Aluminum fencing.. It no longer would need to be something to support a 1000 lb animal because its highly unlikely an alligator will climb vertical pickets with no rungs of a ladder to help him up. If it were a 6 foot high fence you would have a top rail at the very top or about 6 inches from the top and 2 bottom rails at the very bottom.
Aluminum fences come in two different wall thicknesses... and several lines come in different picket thicknesses... Much of the strength comes from the spacing between posts... either 6 feet or 8 feet center post to center post... And you could get a design that has the pickets come to a spike at the top preventing pretty much anything from climbing without getting hurt while going over the top...

You could go with the aluminum or you could go with a solid wood fence... Again, adding strength to the fence by assuring the fence posts are not too far apart from one another... A wood fence would be less expensive, but it would not last as long... So if you are planning to be in the home for 10 years a wood fence is fine.. 20 years & you might consider the more expensive option... 30 or more years and you are bound by knowing that a wood fence would never be secure past its typical 15 year life span.... If you did feel wood looks best for your surroundings, I would suggest using wood attached to steel posts. Steel posts being set in concrete. The posts would last 40 plus years and the wood materials would be able to be changed out time and time again using pretty much all the same brackets, lag bolts and bandings. Wood fencing , assuming you have the good side facing outwards would also give you a lot more privacy than any aluminum , iron or chain link fencing... And being you said this was for a pool area, privacy may be desirable.

I hope those ideas were helpful.... & good luck with those Alligators!.... Florida might be beautiful around this time of year, but I rather the northern snowstorms than sunny , warm and alligators greeting me in my backyard...

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-10-20 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Name removed
Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: