12ft double gates leaning outward at top

Old 12-18-19, 04:46 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12ft double gates leaning outward at top

Iíve just built 2 stockade fence type 12 ft swing out gates with wheels iíve installed cables and turnbuckles to illuminate sagging which worked very well but my problem is the upper part of the gates where the two gates come together when closed are leaning outward I just donít know how to correct the problem any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John and Virginia

Old 12-18-19, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,581 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Are both gates plumb on the hinge side? (In any position... when open or shut) If so, they should be plumb where they meet as well, unless your cables and turnbuckles are warping them out of plumb.

Or are you saying the gates lean in opposite directions where they meet? (i.e. one leans in, one leans out?)

Old 12-19-19, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
It sounds like the gate panels weren't built stiff enough and they are flexing into a potato chip shape. For gates I like to use a welded tubular steel frame. Wood is just too flexible when you much size.

1. To fix (sorta) your gates I would consider a latch near the top of the gates to hold the top portion together. The top could still flop in or out a bit but at least both panels would be together.

2 You could also install a center post which probably defeats the purpose of such a wide opening but it would provide something vertical to latch the end of the gate to to hold it straight. This probably would still require a latch higher up to hold the top part of the gate to the post.

3. You or a welding shop can weld up a tubular steel frame that you can bolt to the back side of the gate to help hold it flat. A frame made of square tubing is easier to work with and attach than one made from round tubing.

Old 12-19-19, 08:09 AM
W
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Are the hinges adjustable? If so, adjust the hinged ends to correct the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: