Clearing the way for DIY Fence

Old 02-08-20, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clearing the way for DIY Fence

Hi,
Just wanted some advice on how to clear my backyard so I can start a DIY wooden fence. Here's a picture of my backyard:

yard.jpg

The previous owner left a broke down wooden fence, a wire fence and small trees/plants in the way. Not sure how complicated it would be to remove it all. Are there any specific tools I could rent to clear it up on my own? Or should I just use my shovel and start digging?
Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-20, 04:25 PM
Received 120 Votes on 110 Posts
If you want to mechanize the removal I would suggest a saws-all. It will still require a lot of muscle and manpower.

Do you want to remove the cyclone fence also? If so are the post in concrete? If they are it's not worth moving the concrete. Cut the post at ground level and stagger your new wood post between them.

Old 02-08-20, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
How much money do you want to spend and how much work do you want to do. All the clearing can be done with an axe and shovel but power tools or even better diesel powered equipment will make the job go much faster. I believe many people see project on TV and think I "'ll do that" when in reality most people are not accustomed to what honest, hard work actually is. You need to look at your time, skills, strength and budget and determine what is best for you.

Old 02-09-20, 06:18 AM
Received 72 Votes on 67 Posts
Have you talked to your neighbor?
I would do that first just to be sure that there is no confusion as to who owns the fence and on which property the fence sits.
Also along the wire fence it looks like many of the plants are on both sides so you will probably kill a few of them.

As Norm201 said if the posts are in concrete then cut them off at ground level and move the new posts away from where the old ones were. This may be best even if they are not in concrete. Trying to auger through old partially rotten post is a royal pain.

If you can pull them up then what i do is wrap a chain around the post and tie a knot in it.
Then use a carjack under the chain.
Usually the chain will move a bit then grab onto the post and up it comes.
The knot shakes out easily once the pressure is off it.

Old 02-10-20, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I didn't realize I could use the car jack for the post. I did a search and found a whole bunch of youtube videos for it. The posts aren't in concrete so it doesn't look too hard to pull them up from what I've seen in the youtube videos.

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 02-10-20, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
I assume you want the small tree right on the fence line gone. One option is to dig it out and remove most of the roots. It will be a lot of work but it can be the most thorough. A easier method is to wait until it's budded out in spring you can cut off the upper part. Then immediately paint the stump with a glyphosate (RoundUp) concentrate syrup. This will kill the roots so it doesn't send up shoots in the future. The stump and roots will remain but at least it won't be sending up annoying shoots.