Attaching 1-3/8" post to 1-1/4" post

Old 04-08-20, 05:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching 1-3/8" post to 1-1/4" post

Hi all. I hope everyone is well !!

I'm going to put up a fence mixing dog kennel panels from Menards with chain link fence. I want to attach the kennel panels which have 1-1/4"od vertical posts to 1-5/8"od chain link line posts with minimal spacing between the two posts.

My dilemma is figuring a way to attach the two vertical posts together. I've found fence panel clamps, but have only seen them with mirrored ends. Like 1-3/8" x 1-3/8". Not with 1-5/8" x 1-1/4" ends like I need. I've also found weld on hinges, but since all of my material is black coated, I really don't want to damage the coating any more than necessary.

I'm sure I haven't considered all available options, but am stuck........... or am having a mental block !!

I would be very grateful for any and all suggestions on ways of attaching these two posts together. Preferably with little or no damage to the black coating.

Thanks everyone, and good health to all !!

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-20, 04:38 AM
Received 241 Votes on 228 Posts
I would just trim off some material on one side of he panel clamp so that when bolted it will close around the smaller dia, the larger dia should not be an issue. You may have to 'tweak" the bends slightly to get the carriage bolts aligned.

I see they have them in black also!

Old 04-09-20, 05:20 AM
M
Received 124 Votes on 115 Posts
I also think the 1 3/8 will work on a 1 5/8 pipe if you cannot find 1 5/8 clamps.

Then I would cut a 2 inch or whatever the clamp width is of a 1 5/8 pipe.
Then cut a slot out of it so it will compress down to slightly less than 1 1/4.
You can do the math, I think it has something to do with pies.
Then use that as a sleave over the 1 1/4 pipe at the clamp.

Old 04-09-20, 06:57 AM
W
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Drill 1/4 inch holes through both posts near top and bottom and insert 1/4 inch bolts and apply nuts.

Old 04-09-20, 11:25 AM
Received 241 Votes on 228 Posts
I would be very grateful for any and all suggestions on ways of attaching these two posts together. Preferably with little or no damage to the black coating.
Thought about that but was trying to give him some non destructive ways to assemble!

Heck if your going to drill holes might as weld weld them together, easier to clean and touch up than holes drilled through them!

Old 04-10-20, 06:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies !!

I've decided to drill and bolt the posts together, and use rubber washers to seal the holes. Relatively easy, and will allow for disassembly if ever needed.

Be well everyone.

Ron