Need to find covers

Old 07-20-20, 03:41 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Need to find covers

I'm building a hand railing for a set of stairs to our pool. I'll be using 1 3/8" pipe to match the fence around the pool. I know how I'll run it and join it to my fence. but the issue arises where I mount my anchor plates to the concrete at the top and bottom. I was planning on using a standard 4" square plate bolted with quick bolts(Hilti). The Mrs doesn't want to see the exposed bolts and plates, Is anyone aware of a cover that will hide the plate and anchor bolts, with a hole that will accommodate the 1 3/8" pipe rising in the middle? Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Old 07-20-20, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That would be a pretty big cover.

The only thought I had was pool escutcheons. I left a generic search page link to give you ideas.
Pool escutcheons

minimac voted this post useful.
Old 07-21-20, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I've always had my covers made. There is a small family run foundry not too far away and they are good and reasonably priced for small production runs. I made a wood mold of what I wanted then they cast the parts in whatever metal you want.

Another option is to not use a base mounting plate. You can bore a hole in your concrete and grout or epoxy your post into the concrete. Very nice and clean but you do need to stay far enough from the edge of the concrete so it doesn't break out.

minimac voted this post useful.
Old 07-21-20, 07:39 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Instead of a 4" square mounting plate, I found a 3" round as well. I've searched for escutcheons, but haven't found any that would be large and tall enough to cover the bolts. They must be out there, I just haven't found any yet. I've thought about core boring to sink the posts into the concrete, but that would be a last resort.
Is there a link for that small foundry?

Old 07-21-20, 08:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I found numerous escutcheons when I searched for "post escutcheon". As for the height you can use a Tapcon so there is only the head above the base plate. If using a wedge type anchor cut the protruding bolt off after you have tightened the nuts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: