Broken rail on backyard fence

Old 07-28-20, 04:54 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken rail on backyard fence

A horizontal beam in my backyard fence has rotted and broken and needs replacing. The problem is that if I buy a beam of the correct length I will not be able to slot it into both vertical posts as it will be too long. Is there a trick to this? At the moment my plan is to buy a beam of the correct length then cut a bit off each end (as little as possible) so that I can slot it all the way in at one end then slot it in at the other end and finally move it across so that it is secure at both ends. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by PJmax; 07-28-20 at 05:03 PM. Reason: resized pictures/added circle
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-20, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That would be the rail that holds the fence together.
Yes..... you would need to slide it into the posts.
Do the rails from each fence meet inside the post ?
It may be a little tricky sliding a replacement in place if there is currently a rail in each post.
Each picket is also attached to the rail so that will need to be done when the new rail is in place.

Old 07-28-20, 05:41 PM
K
Thanks Pete,

I haven't bought the new rail yet. I'm pretty sure that ther original rails met inside the posts (the rail is cut at an angle at each end). Rails from the adjoining sections of fence are already in posts at either end. What do you think of my idea of cutting a bit off each end of the new rail so that I can fit it into the posts?

Old 07-28-20, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
What is the size of the mortise in the red circle? (Width x height). What is the depth of the mortise (from the edge of the post to the existing rail that is coming in from the other side?)

Old 07-28-20, 08:02 PM
K
The size of the mortice is 6cm wide x 8cm height. The depth (thickness) of the post is 5cm. The ends of the rails are cut at an angle so that the rail in one section overlaps the rail in the next section. While carrying out the measurements you asked for I noticed that the rail in the next section is also rotted and barely holding. I was playing with the idea of binding the new rail to the post with metal angles (if you know what I mean).

Old 07-28-20, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Yeah, you might want to just cut a plug to stick into the mortise, and nail on a fence bracket. (Simpson FB24Z)

HesterStanley voted this post useful.
Old 07-29-20, 02:42 AM
H
I am agree with XSleeper..

Old 07-29-20, 07:50 AM
Received 41 Votes on 34 Posts
I also agree that the bracket solution in your case is probably the best.

I have seen fence installers insert new rails into mortised post-and-rail fence joints by digging out one side of a post so that it can be tilted to one side (out of the plane of the fence) enough to slip the rail tenon into place and then setting the post back to vertical. One problem with that solution is that if the post is rotted enough below ground it may break off.

Old 07-29-20, 03:12 PM
K
Thanks to you all. Would I be correct in interpreting what you advise as that I should buy a length of rail then cut off a foot or so so that I can insert the uncut section into one post, insert the short bit as a plug into the other post then nail on a fence bracket?