redwood fence engineering

Old 09-18-20, 04:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
redwood fence engineering

I'm building a 6 ft tall redwood fence. The fence boards are 5/8" thick. Because the fence is just a privacy fence between good neighbors and because it will be only 18 ft long I want to install just 3 fence posts one on each end and one in the middle then run 2 x 6 redwood rails between them. The posts will be 9 ft apart. Will I end up with sag? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-20, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Your fence sections should be 6 feet wide. 4 posts, 6 feet apart = 18 ft. Wind is another factor you aren't considering, and 4 posts will be stronger than 3. The posts need to be a minimum of 24" deep. Depending on your soil, up to 3 ft deep if its dry, sandy soil.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 09-19-20, 04:54 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
fence is just a privacy fence between good neighbors
Don't know what this has to do with it but your plan could cause bad feeling when the fence begins to quickly deteriorates. Follow what X says and you'll be good fir many years.

Old 09-19-20, 10:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
It's better to have an extra post than not enough!
You never want more than 8' between posts, 6' is better.

Old 09-23-20, 06:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks

Thanks to you all. For the record, I've never seen a fence on 6' centers in this So Cal town. Of course, I don't get to the ritzier neighborhoods much. The redwood fence I built on 8' centers with 2 x 6" rails 22 years ago is solid as can be. Neighbor is not an issue since he doesn't give a [email protected]&^%! about anything anyway. He's happy with the rotten fence in place now. BTW wind is not a factor since this is in a narrow space between garages.

Old 09-23-20, 07:29 PM
T
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Yea, most fence out here California land I've seen have posts between 7-8 feet to allow for 2X4X8 rails. Mine are on average 7.5' and they held up about 18 years with a good wind load. I've since replaced them w/steel posts same distance. I wouldn't go 9'. That's putting a lot of weight on the connection points, unless you rabbit and lag them in to the posts. What size posts are you going for? Would you run 2 or 3 rails?