300 a panel seems a tad high?

Old 09-27-20, 05:50 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
300 a panel seems a tad high?

had a local company out to estimate some landscaping work. then asked about fencing. he said 300 per 8 ft vinyl panel. i said i believe some of the areas may have a concrete slab under but unsure. he said possible 50 per hole more if thats true or more difficult

seems a tad high to me? i know varies by area but still.....i only need 4 or 5 for the project.

and actually now that i thought about it, i need a gate too.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-20, 12:57 PM
L
so is custom fencing cheaper. i called another place. they said their pricing changes every single day and she wouldnt evne give me an estimate on past nor future pricing of a typical 6ft by 8 ft panel. i found that very bizarre that she wouldnt give me a hint on any of their past pricing nor something so standard. she said they make all their fence custom and it is cheaper than any premade panels.

i said i dont wanna waste your time if its too much to even have someone come out. but they said no problem to come out. they are 30 min away so its their time and gas but still really bizarre.

Old 10-01-20, 01:24 PM
L
also curious on opinion on attaching the fence or gate to the side of the house . its permastone and i already have normal cracks and fear with wind it's not a good idea to attach to a house.. i have a perimeter drain which comes out 3 to 4 feet from the house with pipes and gravel so you cannot dig there at all next to the house.

i was thinking the gate can be cemented into the earth 4 ft from the house and then a vinyl post into the permastone. this way there's virtually no weight and minimal wind load on the gate where it latches to the house.. thankfully this is in a more protected part of the house. my old fence 20 ft away from the house has a super high wind load on it and part of the reason i'm replacing it.

Old 10-01-20, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
It's going to be a local thing. Doing a search online I see 6x8 fence panels from $215-325 on the average. So.... no.... $300 a panel doesn't seem unrealistic.

On average, basic vinyl fence installation can run $19–$35 per linear foot nationwide,
while decorative fence installation with specialty detail can cost up to $50 per linear foot.

Old 10-02-20, 07:55 AM
L
i have 3 more estimates in the next 2 weeks

mostly what i worry about is putting a post into my house. i had a porch roof riveted into my house years ago and got leaks inside so i hate anything going into the side of te house.

but while im no engineer i figure if the gate hinges were anchored in the yard and only need to put a vinyl post against the house to hook the gate too, i guess the stress shouldnt be too bad.

Old 10-06-20, 09:25 AM
L
guy came out and told me cannot install a gate next to the house because the gate post has no holes to attach to the house. said gotta be fence attached to the house

does this sound correct? i did not think to ask why cannot drill new holes for the latch part of the gate post to be attached to the house

Old 10-07-20, 03:17 PM
L
amazing, the guy today had no issues putting the gate latch post into my wall. i think i prefer him also he goes down half the height of the fence which seems like a good policy

now to see pricing.

also this guy was a wealth of knowledge. apparently one guy is buying all the fencing companies in the county. learned more than i needed but it was fun

Last edited by luckydriver; 10-07-20 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 12:30 PM
L
1st estimate. guy who woudnt put the gate next to the house. 2650 fro 42 ft fence with 4 ft gate. 325 to remove my old one is a steal!

i wrote back to confirm his time frame and gate position and he said "If we get the gate in and have an opening sooner I’d be happy to do that for you!"

so that sounds like he orders the gate vs makes it. unsure if thats normal or not but it is a fencing company. id think 4ft gates are pretty standard.

Old 10-16-20, 03:56 PM
L
final outcome. decided on a guy that was ok putting the gate receiver post attached to the permastone. 2600 for 42 feet of vinyl including 4 ft gate and removal of 9 panels of old fence. sadly cannot do it till january so fingers crossed no snow then.

30% down rest upon install

one thing i neglected to ask is how ez it is to remove just a panel if i need access someday

Old 10-19-20, 01:45 PM
L
its 1200 more but i decided to get 8 ft fence but still 6 ft gate. the receptionist told me they pour dry cement in the hole and let nature take its course except the gate will have wet cement. i have an issue with only 3 inches clearance on a soffit so waiting to hear about that issue but otherwise all looks well

just never heard of dry cement holding up fence posts before