Preservative for pressure treated pine fence

Old 10-11-20, 09:04 AM
J
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Preservative for pressure treated pine fence

I'm not a big fan of wooden privacy fences but to be compliant with HOA rules I have one. Part of mine was destroyed during hurricane Sally and I had t replace it. The new one is pressure treated pine, just like the original fence, which has been there since 2004. I would like to preserve the new fencing, especially the 6' pickets because they are visible from the street. Anybody have recommendations on a long lasting treatment for pt pine? If I have to repeat the treatment every couple of years I probably won't do anything. THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-20, 09:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Most any type of siding or deck stain will work. The average stain life is 3-5 yrs although a lot depends on the weather it's exposed to.

I forgot to add that before you apply stain you should let the wood dry out from the PT process.

Last edited by marksr; 10-11-20 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-11-20, 11:20 AM
J
THANKS. 3-5 years wouldn't be too bad to do. I'll give it a month or two and ask at HD or Lowes what they recommend. I live on the Gulf Coast. Hot as Hadees in the summer with a lot of humidity. Mild but damp winters.

Old 10-16-20, 12:11 PM
J
I went to Home Depot the other day. The only person working in the paint department was a 18-19 year old kid. Didn't figure he knew any more than me so I didn't bother him. Went to Lowes and couldn't find a soul in their paint department. Does ANYBODY here have experience with wood preservatives on treated wood?

Old 10-16-20, 12:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
You will almost always find better advice at your local paint store versus a paint dept.
I like the looks of Flood's CWF although it is one of the shorter lived coatings. I'm not very familiar with what other stains they sell at a big box store.