How to Install Gate Hinges on Vinyl Post

Old 01-04-21, 11:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to Install Gate Hinges on Vinyl Post

Greetings. I'm looking to install hinges on a 6 foot high by 40" wide vinyl gate. Do I install the hinges straight onto the vinyl post as is? Or do I need to reinforce the inside of the vinyl post with wood or a steel stiffener of some sort? Many of the online videos show the screws going in, but not whether the vinyl post have any interior support.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-04-21, 11:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
I think they make aluminum rail and post inserts for applications like that. Talk to a vinyl fence dealer in your area.

Putting treated wood inside would be better than nothing.

Old 01-05-21, 05:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
It all depends on what you have there now. Many vinyl posts intended to support a gate already have an internal aluminum structure but if you are using something from the home center it's likely nothing but plastic. You also want to reinforce the post and gate because plastics can flow plastically over time which would allow the gate to sag and the post to bend. Because PVC on it's own isn't very strong it's easy for fasteners to pull out so using more, smaller fasteners is often better then using a couple larger ones.

Old 01-06-21, 09:12 AM
R
Thanks for the quick response. The vinyl is made by Duramax. It's about 3/16th thick, with no internal support. But yes, I've seen where I can buy metal\aluminum inserts that go inside. I'll look into that.

As for using blocks of wood, I could use a high-end bonding agent from Loctite, to adhere it and drive the screws into that. Would that work long term?

Old 01-06-21, 09:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
"...high-end bonding agent..."
What product are you considering? Some Loctite products are not compatible with PVC and can embrittle the plastic.

"...to adhere it..."
To adhere what to what? Are you going to glue the hinges to the PVC post?

Keep in mind you have not provided any pictures so all we can go by is what you say. Sticking pieces of wood inside the post can give screws something to bite into for mounting hinges but it doesn't strengthen the post against bending. For that you really need something the full height of the post and firmly anchored into the ground which is why there are posts available with internal aluminum for strength. I have had good luck sliding a PVC sleeve over a pressure treated 4x4 and setting that in the ground as a post. Then attach to the post. The 4x4 is there for the strength and the PVC for the pretty.

Old 01-06-21, 03:41 PM
R
Good to know! I have a few Loctite products, but I will investigate. But I'm leaning toward finding some aluminum stiffeners to insert into the gate rail. And yes, is to fasten\screw the hinges to the gate rail and posts.

Old 01-07-21, 09:21 AM
R
And I could use some advice on where to attach the hinges. After opening up the gate. I have a couple of options and questions. Here are some pictures.

Picture #1 is just the gate

Picture #2 shows where the rail and stiles intersect. Here there is actually double the amount of vinyl as the rail goes all the way into the stile. It's 1/4 inch thick with the 2 layers of vinyl. Could the hinges be mounted there? Would that support it? or,

Picture #3 - insert a U shaped stiffener, from top to bottom, and mount the hinges at this portion of the stile.

Thoughts?

Old 01-07-21, 11:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
I would install the hinges where you show in the middle picture. That way you're mounting into both pieces of the gate frame. The screws will also help hold the gate together. You can stick a backing plate in to get the screws more material to bite into but it doesn't need to go full length. But, it might be easier to insert one long board or piece of aluminum if the top cap is glued in place and you only have access from the bottom.

Old 01-07-21, 03:30 PM
R
Thanks. As you can see there are 3 screws holding the rail into the stile. So there is double thickness there. All 4 corners are like that.

But the rails have 2 inner "vertical walls" for sturdiness. Like most vinyl rails. So the metal or wood reinforcement would have to be cut to size, to slide into that first hollow section. But that is doable. Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: