Setting a Post in Sandy Soil

Old 01-20-21, 06:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Setting a Post in Sandy Soil

Hi - I'm setting a post using Sakrete fast setting concrete mix. I've read the instructions about filling the hole 1/3 full of water, then adding the concrete mix. The problem is that my soil is very sandy and dry, and drains entirely before I can ever get the mix out of the bag. Has anybody had luck reversing the process, adding the concrete first and then the water? Any suggestions how much water to add per bag? Thanks.

Old 01-20-21, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
How about mixing the concrete with water in a wheelbarrow, bucket or a mixing tub then pouring it in the hole.

PawleysDude voted this post useful.
Old 01-20-21, 06:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
The concrete will mix better and be stronger if you mix it in a bucket or wheelbarrow, skip the short cut that has been proven to not always give satisfactory results.

btw - welcome to the forums!

PawleysDude voted this post useful.
Old 01-20-21, 08:30 AM
P
Thanks very much for the quick responses. I had hoped to take the easy way out, but it sounds like good advice. I'd rather do it right than quick. Thanks again for your help and for the welcome. I had used the forums previously, but it had been a long time. My email had changed and my password didn't work, leading me to create a new account. If there's a mod I should contact to cancel my old account, please let me know.

Old 01-20-21, 08:48 AM
Received 311 Votes on 280 Posts
filling the hole 1/3 full of water, then adding the concrete mix.
Interesting. I've always learned to fill the hole with the concrete then add water. In fact when I was helping my friend sinking in post for a barn addition that's exactly what we did. And they are as solid as you can get. I've put in fence post the same way. Put post in hole, add dry concrete or cement, then using your hose add water. Mix if possible.
By adding water first of course the soil will just absorb the water.

Old 01-20-21, 09:14 AM
B
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Depending on the forces on the post, for stability the post hole may need to be much deeper and the post much longer.

How have your neighbors done with posts in this type soil?

Old 01-20-21, 10:57 AM
P
Thanks for the responses. Sakrete's instruction sheet as well as their youtube videos call for adding the water first. I figured that would work with some soils, but certainly not mine.

Thanks, but I think I'm good on the hole depth. The post is decorative and not large.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: