Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

building a gate for 6' screen stockade, options for hinges

Old 04-11-21, 06:15 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am finishing up some 6' screen stockade fence and am now at one of the gates. I am trying to build and mount a gate that will look tight on the outside at both the latch and hinge posts (no visible gap) and not bind while opening.

I was just going to copy the old gate but there are a few issues to address. The gate will be between 3" and 4" thick, including the pickets on the front. The gate will be hung on two 5" end posts that are (at the moment) 36" apart. The old gate opened inwards. In order to do the same again, there will have to be a non-trivial amount of clearance between the edge of the gate and the post on the latch side, otherwise the gate will bind on the post (like the old one did).

The old gate used screw hook and eye hinges that were mounted on the inside of the post, meaning not between the gate and post like a normal door hinge would be. The hooks were mounted on the post inside the gate and the eyes were mounted into the back of the gate. This allowed for essentially no clearance between the gate and the hinge-side post since the gate would come immediately away from the post as it opened.

My issue is that I think it will not look very good to have a 3/4" to 1" gap between the gate and the post on the latch side. I don't see how I can avoid that much of a gap and have the gate not bind there.

If I have the gate open out, then I can have the necessary clearance on the gate frame, but overlap a picket on the outside the cover the gap. That would involve mounting the same kind of hook and eye hinges, but on the outside. I think this would also look odd. If I use a more traditional hinge mounted between the gate and post, then I will need clearance on the hinge side to keep it from binding there (at least, that is what is seem like when I think about it).

I am thinking that there must be some kind of hinge I can use that could be mounted on the inside of the gate, or between the gate and post, that would allow for the gate to swing out open and still let me have no visible gap between the picket on the hinge side and the post.

There must be a way to do this so I thought it was time to ask someone who would likely know how.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Old 04-12-21, 07:40 AM
Received 100 Votes on 86 Posts
I have used https://www.hardwaresource.com/gate for hinges. Their Customer Contact was very helpful.

That would involve mounting the same kind of hook and eye hinges, but on the outside. I think this would also look odd.
A strap and pin hinge could work.

Old 04-21-21, 07:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not quite getting the whole picture of what you are doing but, if you bevel the sides of the gate, it will allow you tighter clearance when closed and not bind when opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: