Gas line on edge of fence post hole

Old 04-15-21, 09:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas line on edge of fence post hole

The fence on the side lot was recently put up. The side lot is slightly wider so the gate will be hinged on the middle post on the property line, with a second post between the property line and house to latch the gate to.

The hole for the middle post was hand dug by the contractor and the plastic gas line was found to just poke out from the edge of the hole. (see image)

I just realized now when poured the concrete will contact the gas line. How screwed am? Or will I be screwed in 30 years when the post needs replacement?

https://imgur.com/a/zlfhbkR

Old 04-16-21, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 828 Posts
At the minimum I would put a barrier next to the gas line. A piece of rigid foam insulation would be perfect. It would keep the concrete away and provide some squish to prevent the gas line from being hurt if someone hits the post.

I normally use compacted earth or crushed stone when setting fence posts, especially the middle ones (not corners). It's faster, very strong and is easier to work with in 20 years when the posts will need replacing. If they will be doing concrete I would pour concrete in the bottom of the hole up to about 6" below the gas line. Then put in sand to about 6" above the gas line. Then cap off with concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: