Help identifying 19th century gate part

Old 04-21-21, 06:19 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help identifying 19th century gate part

I am really struggling to identify the name of the part I need to replace on my 19th century iron fence. It's the piece used to open and close the gate, which is done so by squeezing a vertical bar that fits into a latch.

The vertical rod had become rusted and has now broken into pieces. I've been scouring the internet but can't find the right term for this closing type so I have no idea what part I need to repair it.

It's the same type of closer as on the left of the gate in the photo attached. Any help is majorly appreciated!

Old 04-21-21, 06:41 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 27,168
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Go to any business that does ornamental iron / welding. It will likely need to be custom repaired on site. Taking the gate to them might save you some $.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: