Farm / deer fence - H-brace

Old 04-30-21, 06:06 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Farm / deer fence - H-brace

I am installing a fence around our garden. I am using 12 foot treated round posts sunk 3 feet in concrete. For the corners and the gates I am using 6 inch diameter spaced 8 feet and for line posts 4 also spaced 8 feet. In total about 600 feet. Everything I have read says the brace should be 2 1/2 times the height of the fence. Obviously with 9 feet of exposed fence I am not going to find 23 foot posts. I am concerned that an 8 foot brace will cause the diagonal wire to cause to much uplift on the post if the wire runs from about 7 feet to the ground. I have come up with two thoughts on how to deal with this. 1. Wrap wire under tension around the entire horizontal brace at brace height and then run a diagonal wire from 4 feet on one post to ground level on the other. The other thought was to make a double H and run the diagonal wire from the first post to the third.
I am new to this so any and all help is appreciated!
Thank you
GP

Old 05-01-21, 03:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
What fencing are you using? It sorta sounds like you are doing barbed or high tension wire???

Old 05-01-21, 06:40 AM
G
78 graduated woven wire with 2 strands of barbed wire above.

Old 05-01-21, 07:10 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
My idea is this: Horizontal brace from corner post to second post. Another horizontal brace from second post to third post. Braces in line with each other. Run brace wire from third post at brace level to ground at corner post. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-01-21, 02:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
Barbed wire high in the air is useful against humans but deer just see an obstacle they need to clear. Regular wire and barbed have the same deference and straight wire looks less prison like (unless you're going for the supermax look).

Old 05-01-21, 05:04 PM
G
Thanks for the feedback. Going with 3 post setup, 2 braces inline. Not sure about the barb wire (was for look) or barbless wire for top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: