Chain Link Fence

Old 05-01-21, 03:57 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chain Link Fence

I have the below fence on the side of my house. 1-5/8" posts that are 3 ft high with the top cross-post. I am looking at the idea of removing the fence fabric to the last post in the picture, slip a 2-3/8" 6 ft high post over the ones I have and attaching them to the smaller post. Then run a 6 ft high chain link fence in the same spot and then across to the house. Is this advisable? I had considered doing a wood fence the same way but am concerned about the stress from the weight of the wood on the posts.

The only other way to accomplish this that I can see is to cut and jackhammer the concrete where the fence posts are. The concrete is a low retaining wall for the interior soil also. Then pour new concrete and insert the larger posts in preparation for a new fence. Quite a bit more expensive.

Side Fence

Old 05-02-21, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Have you test fit the proposed slip over? I'm curious how much "slop" there would be. I don't see why you couldn't do it, but hopefully one of our fence pros will chime in,

Old 05-02-21, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 897 Votes on 826 Posts
There is a reason larger diameter pipes/posts are used for taller fences. And, larger diameter taller posts are sunk deeper into the ground for more stability. Simply slipping a larger diameter pipe still leaves the original, smaller pipe with it's shallower foundation carrying all the structural load. It will probably work... until a side load is placed on the fence.

I looked at the pipe/post sizes and it's pretty clear that none is designed to fit nicely over another. Yes, you can slide a bigger pipe over the existing but it will be a sloppy fit.

As you would expect if you want something to last you need to do it right. If going to 6' high fencing I think it would be worth the work to remove the old posts and concrete and install properly sized posts for the taller fence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: