Distance between 4x4 posts for standard gate...

Old 05-21-21, 09:21 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Distance between 4x4 posts for standard gate...

Basic question: We have a chain link fence around the back yard. I want to soon replace a section at the top of the driveway (it goes from the house to the property boundary) with a wood fence. My immediate need is to map out the likely post spots, so I can get the new, corresponding plant beds dug now.

The section of fence is about 23'. I want a simple entry gate in the middle, enough for simple person entry. I am thinking 36" gate, so add 6" for gate mounting and center the gate posts with 42" between? Is 6" for mounting enough? Should I consider a wider gate? Input appreciated.

Old 05-21-21, 10:06 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Should I consider a wider gate? Input appreciated.
Depends on what you might need pass to through. Typical wood fence section is 8 feet. Many people will split that difference for gate or a split gate to get the full 8' entry.
I never thought I would need an 8' entry until I got a 4 x 4 vehicle for storage during winter. Normally I only use one side, but when I need that extra width, it's a God send.

Old 05-21-21, 10:48 AM
R
Depends on what you might need pass to through.
I was thinking of putting in a double gate on the other side of the house when I get to it, just in case, but there is really no obvious need for it.

I think that I am over-thinking this over inches.. I will plan on having two posts 48" apart in the middle, and will work with any deviations. I might be putting in some type of walkway later, but again it isn't a big deal. Thanks.

Old 05-21-21, 10:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,318 Upvotes on 2,063 Posts
I really don't like 4x4 for supporting a gate. Many 4x4 these days warp when they dry. Add a gate and there is a reasonable chance the post may bend. I'd consider a 4x6 or 6x6 (yes, I know it will cost a fortune these days) for the hinge side of the gate. Also, with the larger post you don't have to be so concerned about keeping the weight of the gate to a minimum.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-24-21, 08:35 AM
R
Just saw this. For reference, I am considering a 6' fence.
I really don't like 4x4 for supporting a gate. Many 4x4 these days warp when they dry. Add a gate and there is a reasonable chance the post may bend.
Can 4x4 be temporarily reinforced until dry?
I'd consider a 4x6 or 6x6 (yes, I know it will cost a fortune these days) for the hinge side of the gate. Also, with the larger post you don't have to be so concerned about keeping the weight of the gate to a minimum.
I was looking for a narrow gate here (36"-42") because that is all I think I need, but yes, gate sag and material cost/hassle did figure into it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: