15ft gate

Old 08-17-21, 10:44 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
15ft gate

Good morning,
I am in the process of replacing a 15 ft section of fence for a 3rd time in 10 years due to sagging issues and then wood posts warping and splitting. I recently came across an old 6" steel circular post from an old playground that I can use for a gate. I haven't found a good way to attach a wooden fence to that size metal post.
I recently came a across an idea and wanted to see if anyone has ever don't something like it. I've thought about putting jbolts through the metal poat and attaching a horse style gate to it and then adding on fence boards with some self taping screws to the gate.
any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 08-17-21, 10:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,324 Upvotes on 2,067 Posts
J bolts (I call them L bolts) are commonly welded to posts for gates so nothing unusual there. I would avoid adding wood to a tubular steel gate because of the added weight especially if using just J bolts for the pivot. Of course much depends on your 6" diameter post and how well you anchor it in the ground. Most playground piping & framing that I have seen is too light weight (the wall is too thin) to support a 15' gate without reinforcement. But, I tend to build things on the robust side so they don't need replacing in 10 years.

Old 08-17-21, 07:11 PM
D
Haha, I agree and would like to find that combination that will last me at least 10 years. I only call them jbolts since thats what the stores call em, but I agree that they should be called L bolts. I can break the gate up in two but would still like 1 of the gates to only be about 5 feet wide or so. Well I guess I'll start over at square one as I agree that maybe that pole isn't thick enough.

Thanks

Old 08-18-21, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,324 Upvotes on 2,067 Posts
Check with local welding and metal fabrication shops. See what tubing they keep in stock. Be sitting down when they tell you the price as steel tubing prices are sky high right now.

Old 10-31-21, 07:39 AM
M
Just a thought, have you considered something like a 4x6 or 6x6 wooden post to mount that size gate to? with pass through L bolts so it can be adjusted? I am planning something similar with a 12' single gate so if your job is complete I would love to hear what you did and how it turned out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: