Fence sagging a bit

Old 04-14-22, 06:09 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fence sagging a bit

Hi,
I built a fence for my neighbor three years ago and the gates were 7 feet wide. I lapped the joints at the corner and used Z bracing and they never sagged. He had a fire and moved, so, I took the fence down. I had to modify the doors and cut them down for my fence gate, but I still z braced them and the corner joints are lapped. After just a few months, one of the gates started to sag and the lift latch would hit the receiving ramp when closing. I thought that was strange, so I lowered the receiver a bit and it worked smooth again. Two more months passed by and it's hitting the receiving ramp again. I've got two T hinges and one butterfly hinge on the gate, so the weight isn't an issue. What's weird is the gap where the gate closes doesn't change and the handle is still plumb, but the gate is not level anymore. The fence it's attached to is perfectly level. When I lift the sagging gate the only thig that moves is the post it's attached to. I thought, well the post it's attached to, but it is still level, so that doesn't seem plausible. The close up picture shows how much it has dropped. I don't think a sagging kit will do anything and was hoping someone could shed some light on what may be the problem. I've attached some pictures for reference. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Puzzling for me.

Old 04-14-22, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,980 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
When I lift the sagging gate the only thig that moves is the post it's attached to.
I only have 2 thoughts. You say the hinge post moves. You might install a stainless steel cable with a turnbuckle (for adjustment) to the top of that hinge post, and fasten it to the bottom of the next adjacent post. That will help keep the hinge post steady, parallel to the latch side post. But that doesn't seem to be a big problem as your latch side reveal seems consistent.

the gate is not level anymore.
Sounds like your angle brace is not squaring the gate then. Measure the gate diagonally in each direction and see if the gate is square. If it isn't, the gate is simply racking out of square. Likely because each picket is not fastened to the cross brace which would help strengthen the gate and keep it square.

Old 04-18-22, 12:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,
The gate is slightly out of square, but was hanged perfectly level. The gate is z braced which means it should lock it's self in place, or so I was told. I've had loose gates before and when I lift on them they can be pulled back up level. When I lift up this one, it merely lifts the fence post it's attached to and the fence that post is attached to is perfectly level. My pickets are screwed in at the top, middle, and bottom cross members, but not the angled piece. I did notice that the bolts attaching it to the hinges had loosened up after initial tightening, Can a gate sag due to loose bolts? Seems like the gate would have lifted when I was trying to figure out where it was sagging if the bolts holding it to the hinges were loose. I appreciate your time, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: