Chicken run

Old 05-14-22, 05:11 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Chicken run

I'm not sure if this is the right category but it's the closest I could determine. My wife and I have decided to raise chickens. We have a chicken coop and we are building a run for them. We built the frame for the run using 1 1/4" PVC pipe and wrapped the 12' x 7 1/2' frame with 1/4" hardware cloth. My question is I'm looking for ideas on building a door for the run. Any ideas for the door (5' H X 33" W) are fine whether it be of wood or PVC or whatever. Here is a pic of the door section. Thanks.

Old 05-14-22, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
You were in the animal care forum. This is probably a better place for this thread.

Nice job on the construction.

Something in PVC. Just need to come up with hinges.... and a latch.

Old 05-15-22, 06:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
I have tried similar construction for my blueberry enclosures. Even when the "roof" only spans 3' and is wrapped with bird netting the framing sags badly under the weight of a NC snow. Keep an eye on your enclosure when you get winter weather as you might have to do some emergency bracing of the top.

Old 05-15-22, 02:09 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I hope to be able to find hinges of some sort for the PVC. I have thought about lattice, or T-111, or more fencing for the door but I would need hinges. I might even run wood around the PVC door frame and attach a door that way. I hope to have this ready by Tuesday because that's when we are scheduled to pick up our pullets. AND there calling for some nasty thunderstorms tomorrow! We'll see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: