Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

what type of post anchor needed for vinyl fence on concrete?

Old 06-02-22, 05:29 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I ordered 2 sections of 6ft x 6ft steel re-enforced stone look vinyl privacy panels by sim-tek from menards, parent company is Certainteed.2 end posts and one line post.
Instead of the standard vinyl posts for soil mount I ordered them in a steel form with a 4 corner base plate which would be attached by some form of anchor.
The panels are rated at a sustained wind speed of 110mph with gusts up to 130mph, surface mount or buried post.
Instructions say to use epoxy anchor for steel post to top of concrete., what is that?
Or is that contractor language for epoxied in threaded ready rod using the self mixing caulk gun size tube?
Another option are wedge bolts which I dont like or screw in tapcon type bolts, just wondering if a glued in rod with a nut on top is best?
Thanks

Old 06-03-22, 05:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,324 Upvotes on 2,067 Posts
"...is that contractor language for epoxied in threaded ready rod using the self mixing caulk gun size tube?"
Yes, that is how I understand.

"...are wedge bolts which I dont like or screw in tapcon type bolts, just wondering if a glued in rod with a nut on top is best?"
Yes, I think epoxied rod is better than expanding anchors or Tapcons. With expanded anchors there is often one that starts to spin when you try to remove them and occasionally I've had Tapcons snap off when installing.

Old 06-03-22, 06:12 AM
R
Thanks for your response. I have had Tapcon screws snap also, but I think it might have been due to hole not drilled deep enough or not all dust cleaned out and then too much force applied while tightening.
The wedge bolts for me have always been a 50/50 .
If hole is not drilled perfectly straight down the wedge part never grips, and if its not the 1st one installed in a group
of others it throws all of them off, or you just have to finish project with one less anchor.
I have never used the epoxy and threaded rod design, I cant picture just glueing in rod would be stronger than all other options, but then again I have never used it, especially with 12 feet of panel than will catch some wind.

Old 06-03-22, 06:15 AM
R
forgot
Is there any difference or one brand better for the epoxy that you know of?
I see they usually all run around $20 for the smaller caulk gun size tube.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: